54 Interchangeable brake drums?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Arizona Jack, Nov 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack Member

I have a 1954 Chevy 3100 truck. Have been working to restore the truck during the last few years.

Since the purchase of truck there was a front brake drums question I have had. It appears that prior owner replaced the front drums with a five lug drum. The replacement has been working fine. While inspecting the brakes they seem to be original 54 according to my review of 54 repair manual and what's available on line and what’s currently in place on the truck.

My question is are the 54 drums interchangeable in this way between 5 and 6 lug configurations?

Is there an advantage to 5 lug over 6 lug drums and are the rear drums also interchangeable?

Thanks!

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

I have heard of swapping car hubs (and drums) onto trucks to get a 5 lug pattern on the front to match the rears after a rear end swap. The drums are not interchangeable 5-6 lug unless you also change the hubs (front) or axles (rear).

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

53-54 Chevy car hubs are supposedly swappable onto 52-59 1/2 ton truck front spindles. I've never tried it myself.

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack Member

Thanks Guys! Is there any way to tell what type of drums I might have by size or markings? Would be good to know before order brake parts. I'm currently leaning towards original Chevy 1954 - 3100 series 1/2 ton truck.

vwnate1 likes this.
  5. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

The 11x2 brake was very common back in the day. Take your shoes to your FLAPS and ask for an AC Delco 17228B to compare them side by side - that same shoe was used by GM on some models up until 1970.

More Information for ACDELCO 17228B

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

And, there you go ! .

I'm subscribed to see how this all works out .

OBTW : WELCOME NEWBIE ! .

Here you will find the answer to any question no matter how mundane / trivial .

Parts too are often sourced here via topic drift .

I have a complete drum to drum 1959 Chevrolet 3100 (1/2 ton) front axle for the taking ~ the tie rods are bent and welded etc., it was an old farm truck but someone will need it for parts or to upgrade the brakes on a pre 1951 Chevy car or light truck someday .

It's a heavy beast and long too but anyone who wants is it is free .

I'm not sure about the interchangeability of the brake drums 5 / 6 lug but I *think* Bill's answer should help you out .

I might have a 16" 6 lug wheel as well, I'm not planning to work on older rigs anymore and don't want to throw old parts away .

7. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack Member

For those following this thread. I was successful in replacement of the front wheel bearings and brakes inside the 5 lug hub that some placed on my 1954 Tuck. I ordered wheel bearings and brakes for the 1954, 3100 and they work well inside the 5 lug hub. So I assume that the 5 lug front hubs 1952 -1959 are a suitable replace for the 1954 ^ lug hubs.

vwnate1 likes this.
  8. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

52-59 half ton Chevy and GMC trucks all used 6 lug hubs and wheels. 53-54 Chevy cars used 5 lug hubs and wheels. Both the truck and car hubs used the same bearing sets. Someone had previously swapped Chevy car hubs onto your truck spindles.

vwnate1 likes this.