New Here - Separating trans from motor??

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Morgan, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Morgan

Morgan Member

Hi Everyone,

I just inherited my father in laws previous project and started work on it last weekend.

The rebuild had been started, but only for fit assembly to be torn apart again for paint etc.

Once I got the truck back home I started to notice certain details not making much sense, and was left with a ton of hanging question marks as to what had been done, what hadn't etc. So I made the decision to pull it apart and start from 'scratch' so to speak.

The truck has already been Mustand II'd/frame partially boxed, and currently has (had) a 302 with a 3 speed auto trans. My plans for the truck are a tad different, so out comes the drivetrain.

Motor/trans are out and I was trying to separate them but keep getting hung up with about a 1/2 gap. My guide pins are clear, all? the hardware is out, and I have a gap going, but cant pull the trans from the motor...am I overlooking something super easy that will allow me to separate those 2 units...I'll post some photos here shortly, but now my priority is getting these apart and continuing the disassembly.

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

302 like six cylinder GMC engine or 302 like Camaro Z28 engine?

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. Morgan

Morgan Member

Totally spaced on that detail. inline 6 gmc

thanks!

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Next question: Is this "3 speed auto trans" a later model like a TH350 or TH400? Reason I ask is because if factory equipped with an automatic transmission, 302 engines came with a 4 speed, "dual range" HydraMatic. Look around the outer edge of what you would call the "torque converter" on a more modern tranny like a TH350 and see if there are a bunch of bolts (18) holding it onto the flywheel. If so, yours is definitely a dual range HydraMatic.

If it is a dual range HydraMatic all those bolts must be removed to separate the tranny from the engine.

Clipboard01.jpg
    What is the year, make and model of your truck?

I've left you a PM.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023
    vwnate1 likes this.
  5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Morgan: Give me a call at 713-468-6417

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Morgan ;

Don't leave us hanging .