Installing Springs

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by greenizgd, Aug 4, 2003.

1. greenizgd

greenizgd Member

I am ready to install my a arms and my new spindles, but I need some help with installing the spring. From looking in the book, they say to use a spring compressor to do the job, but I don't have one. I was wondering if there was a way to do it w/o a spring compressor. I was thinking I could compress the springs by using the weight of the truck, but my engine is not in the truck, so there is no weight to compress the springs. Help....

2. 76454

76454 Member

just go to the parts store and rent a compressor,they're not that expensive.

3. 84inArk

84inArk Guest

there is no way in Hell you can use the weight of your truck to compress those springs! would'nt matter if you could stand it up on end, still wouldnt be enough.
    have to secure the frame to the floor then jack up the lower controll arm & bolt it on. or get the spring comp.

4. Zeitgeist57

Zeitgeist57 Member

Has anybody compressed the springs to the point that you don't have to unbolt and lower the lower A-arm? I'd like to avoid that if possible.

5. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

When I installed my 3" lift springs I didn't unbolt the lower A-arms or use a spring compressor, although I still had the engine in the truck. Just compress the spring as much as you can with a compressor, let the A-arms down as far as they can go, and you should be able to get it in there.