1954 Chevy Truck... Just Getting Started...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by BigDog9721, Mar 24, 2024.

1. BigDog9721

BigDog9721 Member

Guys, I get it... I am going to work with a certified mechanic to install a LS1 5.7L V8 engine... he'll be looking into framing and supports as well... thank for your help!

vwnate1 and Chiro like this.
  2. coopertechparts

coopertechparts Member

Nice truck

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. BigDog9721

BigDog9721 Member

coopertechparts, thank you!

vwnate1 likes this.
  4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I like your older home built Hot Rod truck .

Especially the paint color, in my old age I have decided I like red .

Clearly it wasn't built by any professional but that doesn't mean it won't be a good riding handling and safe rig, once you go through it .

Some details like the reversed spark plugs wires, choke pull wire and so on show the kind of ingenuity we used on the farm to make old klunkers run again when I were a lad in the 1960's .

Don't sweat the cab swap now the bed, I see no rust holes and that's the important thing .
    Please keep us posted as you go along .

5. BigDog9721

BigDog9721 Member

vwnate1, thank you so much for the encouragement! Here's a few pictures below!
    2nd and 3rd picture is the LS1 with new radiator installed..

upload_2024-5-26_13-7-32.png
    upload_2024-5-26_13-14-32.png upload_2024-5-26_13-15-5.png

vwnate1 likes this.
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Keep at it you'll have a running truck before you know it .

FWIW, my name is Nate .

7. BigDog9721

BigDog9721 Member

Nate, thanks for the encouragement! We are moving forward...

8. e015475

e015475 Member

LS engine truck accessories will fit between the inner fenders much better. Those look like Corvette. You can run the truck accessories on an LS1 with an idler relocation kit from ICT Billet

If you intend to run a drive-by-wire throttle body (what's shown in your picture), you'll need the TAC module, jumper harness and electronic throttle pedal that's correct for the VIN of the motor

It is going to be pretty tight between the stock radiator location and the accessories/throttle body. You might start thinking how you can mount the radiator in front of the support instead of in the factory location behind it.

Look at the Sanderson or Hooker cast exhaust manifolds. If this is a Corvette LS1 you can cut and v-band the factory stainless manifold for a pretty decent center dump exhaust inexpensively.

This is an aluminum LS in my 49 GMC with an LS1 intake and truck accessories/throttle body- I made my share of mistakes shoe-horning it in there that I'd be glad to share when you get into it. This truck has had the firewall modified to move the engine back another 2". A GMC radiator sits about an inch further forward than a Chevy, which helps too.

[​IMG]