horn mount

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by SCOTT SCHMIDT, Jun 19, 2024.

1. SCOTT SCHMIDT

SCOTT SCHMIDT Member

I have a 53 half ton with a 54 235 engine and 12 volts. I am at a loss as to where and how to mount either of the two posted horns. Originally, the older horn was mounted on the firewall and I want to mount it where it was from from the factory. I can't see how the two different brackets would work for either horn. Am I missing a different bracket? Appreciate all advice. Thanks, Scott

Attached Files:

vwnate1 likes this.
  2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Your "old horn" is not original to the truck.

Your "new horn" is at least similar to the original horn on your truck. The left-most end of that S shaped bracket shown in new_horn.jpg attaches to the intake manifold, just behind the forward U-bolt that is holding on your oil filter. You may have to slightly move the oil filter to get the bracket to attach to the manifold.

Are you sure that "new horn" is 12 volts?

If there isn't already a horn relay installed, let me know and I'll show you how to install one. You don't want to use the original wiring diagram for this new horn.

vwnate1 likes this.
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hi Scott ;

Your truck appears to have had the upgraded dual horns option, in this case they were indeed mounted on the firewall .

Your engine is a newer 235 and so doesn't have the proper 235 intake manifold, I'd suggest letting Bill walk you through his method of mounting the single original horn .