85 K10 differential

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by taylormade85k10, Jan 18, 2005.

1. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

I have learned through this discussion forum , or I hope I have learned , what my popping noise in the differential is from...My question is how difficult is rebuilding one in my garage on jack stands ?

2. customdeluxek20

customdeluxek20 Member

little unconftable but can be doen just as easy as on a lift jack

3. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

Mine is making the same popping sound as mention in amother topic. Except mine does it only when I turn left or right and only very slow speeds like take off (5mhp) and then it stops...

4. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

I got under the truck and found this number stamped on the diff. 14055251 and also found H174 and something that looks like a clock (10 marks)with the arrow pointing to the 7th mark...I'm trying to find out what gear is in the truck , because the previous owner doesn't know..He is also the original owner( hee..hee..hee..)...I've been told to just change the oil out of the diff. and add an aditive and the might fix my popping noise..any suggestions...

5. customdeluxek20

customdeluxek20 Member

there should be a spec sheet that is stuck on the inside of the glovebox and that shows every thing that the truck had from factory
    and most likely your k10 has 3.73 gears

6. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

I saw the spec sheet , but it doesn't say what gear ...Thanks sir I'm changing the oil in it tomorrow and my neighbor says its stamped on the pinion gear...i just need a calculator to divide the 2 numbers on that gear and that will be the ratio...

7. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

How will I be able to tell posi-trac from limited slip...when I remove the cover to change the oil out ?

8. customdeluxek20

customdeluxek20 Member

if i am not mistakeing you can jack both rear tires off the ground and if its posi both tires will spin the same way and if its ainti they will spin against each other.

9. customdeluxek20

customdeluxek20 Member

but i would double check that spec sheet because its exposed to be on it its most likely on it as rearend! there is two colins its should be on the or the left one

10. HiYnBlueC10

HiYnBlueC10 Member

Before I started tearing into a rear diff I would try changing the lube and add some limited slip additive in with it. I prefer the factory GM brand p/n 1052358 , not the kind that you buy at your local parts store. I have a Auburn posi in my truck at it will raise holy hell without the additive in it. After you drain the old lube and are ready to refill it , put the additive in first this way it get mixed in better. Rebuilding and setting up a rear end is not the easiest thing to tackle but I believe you can get some pretty good manuals and instructional videos for some of the gear manufactures like Richmond. You will also find that it takes some special tools such as presses, pullers, and a dial indicators etc.... not everybody has those in their tool box. I usually take mine to a professional to have it set-up . Hope this helps.