rearend Clunking, popping

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 87Silverado, Feb 10, 2004.

1. 87Silverado

87Silverado Member

Alrighty I have a 87 silverado pickup 4x4 and when i turn either way from a a slow speed there is a very loud clunk or popping in the rearend, its so loud it scare the living daylight out of me, also the left rear tire is barking when it does this sometimes like it is binding up. If u need more info i will post more but please any help would be very helpful! Thanx Robert:-(

2. tech1

tech1 Member

Sounds like a bearing or maybe a little differencial problem.

3. truckenstein

truckenstein Guest

my truck was singing the same song to me a while ago, turned out to be the differential, gears were all eatin up inside, got so bad the truck would lock up and you couldnt get it to budge fwd. I cracked the cover and chunks of metal from the gears flowed out with the fluid. i had to change the ring and pinion. with alot of advice and hand cleaner the job got done.

4. firetech2003

firetech2003 Guest

i have a 1987 silverado v30 that has the same problem but i found out that i have a locking rear and thats what is not disengageing i have not figured out how to fix it yet.

5. customdeluxek20

customdeluxek20 Member

i am not to sure but it sounds to me like u have a rear locker in the rearend and what it does is when you turn a corner its put pressure on ur rearend and make it lock in and makes ur rearend positive traction.

6. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

>Alrighty I have a 87 silverado pickup 4x4 and when i turn
    >either way from a a slow speed there is a very loud clunk or
    >popping in the rearend, its so loud it scare the living
    >daylight out of me, also the left rear tire is barking when
    >it does this sometimes like it is binding up. If u need more
    >info i will post more but please any help would be very
    >helpful! Thanx Robert:-(

Hey Robert I have an 85 Silverado 4x4 that does the same thing, but it seems it only does it after I come off the interstate and not round town driving ....Jerry T

7. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

I was told by a mech. to change the oil out..the oil is probably old and that would most likely clear up the problem...he says the clutches inside the limited slip aren't grabbing due to the old oil..or even due to lack of oil...

8. HiYnBlueC10

HiYnBlueC10 Member

Yes change your lube and put the limited slip additive in it. I prefer the GM brand p/n 1052358 it works better than the kind that you can get from your local parts store. My Auburn posi will raise hell without the additive... sounds like it is coming apart. Also suggest when changing lube always add the additive first before the lube... alot of times the additive will run out if you try and add it after it is full of lube.

9. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

It all comes in the same bottle now...I used NAPA's brand and its fine now...