engine swap

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Stupid trucker, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Stupid trucker

Stupid trucker Member

I had bought a new stock gm crate 350 and put it in a 77 4x4. The motor is for up to 1986. I come across an 87 blazer with fuel injection and 700r. I would love to have it and put this new motor in it. Can I do it or do I need the heads off the 305 thats in the blazer. I would think thats whats in it. I want the fuel inj for performance and fuel economy. And I really dont want to mess around with the new 350 it runs great the way it is. What do u guys think, can anyone help.
    thanks

2. ChevyAndy

ChevyAndy Member

The block casting is different. You are right you would need to use the heads made for that manifold but I wouldnt try this swap. You will need a new flexplate and I believe a new torque converter as well. If I were you and I wanted to use that motor in the blazer, I would ditch the FI (it sucked anyway) and get a nice new carb to mount on that puppy. The new carbs are more reliable than that stock FI anyway, not to mention what condition that harness is in?!

3. 80chevybeater

80chevybeater Member

the fuel injection on blazer is TBI it's not vortec heads and will bolt your 350 engine. you need to get bigger injectors and eprom from a 350 TBI engine or your truck will run lean at WOT. But It's not really worth that much if any gain over a carb since it's not a multport injection fuel injection. You get better cold start. You will need to change distributors also and fuelines and fuel pump etc.. stay with carb or got TPI injection from a Z28 or corevtte if you want fuel injection.

4. Stupid trucker

Stupid trucker Member

Thanks guys i didn't buy the blazer anyway. It was in to bad of shape to fool with. I'm already running a new edelbrock 600 on the motor, it runs good. I guess i got in over my head with another project since i just finished the 77. It was an idea i had before but never knew. Like u said it aint worth it.