350 Oil Flow

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Kris_87_Chevy, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Kris_87_Chevy

Kris_87_Chevy Member

Hello! As most of you know, the Chevy 350s are prone to a back cylinder malfunction due to less than adequate oil flow. Is there any way to correct this? I just dropped a crate motor in my 87 Chevy 1/2 ton and I'd like to try to prevent what happened to the original motor -- severe "blow-by" at 91,000 miles! Thanks for the help!

2. Kris_87_Chevy

Kris_87_Chevy Member

Anyone care to reply?

3. Zeitgeist57

Zeitgeist57 Member

Only thing I can think of is install a high-volume oil pump and/or run synthetic oil from the start.

IMO, unless you change the oil delivery process within the engine (yikes!) the only other option is to improve the flow of the oil. Up the pressure, or run a less-viscous 5w30 or 10w30 synthetic. Hell, most people should be running synthetic anyway! :)

4. scholman

scholman Member

Kris_87_Chevy,

I guess I have a problem with your statement that 350's are prone to back cylinder malfunction.
    In my 45 plus years working on these and other engines I have not seen the rear cylinders have any lack of oil problems. I have seen the front two connecting rods burn up in four wheel drive trucks that have been driven UP HILL too long and all the oil runs back and uncovers the oil pick-up tube.
    Now they do have cylinder head problems because the valve-guides wear out and then the valve guide seals get hard because they get very hot. Then the rear drain holes get restricted and allow oil to be sucked down the intake valve guides causing number 7 and 8 to foul their spark plugs.
    I do run 20w50 Quaker State and change it every 3000 miles and I have had great results.

Have Fun
    Scholman