2 or 3 groove upper pulley

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by soiset, Oct 1, 2005.

1. soiset

soiset Member

I took my 84 k10 in for the state inspection today, and unlike last year, it didn't pass. The tech noticed that their were no hoses from the air pump, and no belt attached to it (it's in the cab). Thing is, though, this stuff wasn't there last year when I passed.

This truck came with a 305, which the original owner swapped for a 350. I'm guessing that the air pump was stock on the 305, and the original owner bolted it back on to the Goodwrench 350. The exhaust manifolds don't have any fittings for air injection, though (I guess they are not the same exhaust manifolds that were on the 305), so if there were hoses on the air pump, they would have no where to go.

The owner of the station suggested slyly that I might remove all the air pump hardware so the techs wouldn't know to look for it. Apparently GM made some 350's with, and some without, AIR. I have now taken the pump and brackets off, but there is still that third empty groove in the upper pulley, looking rather conspicuous.

Does anyone know if the versions without air pumps still had the three groove upper pulley? If they only had two grooves, where can I get a two groove pulley?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

2. soiset

soiset Member

Too late to edit, so...

What the hell is up with the fan blades? My fan has 5 blades, not 6, and they are not distributed evenly. Three blades are spread at what looks like the appropriate 360/5=72 degrees, but two of the blades are close together. Is this to balance something? And if so, am I screwed for not marking the mounting position of the fan before removing it?

Also, how do you know when to replace the fan clutch? My fan is always spinning, as if the clutch is locked, but I can turn the fan with some fluid resistance.

3. jsenters

jsenters Member

The blades are offset to reduce noise and not to balance.

4. Heavy86Chevy

Heavy86Chevy Member

the fan will always spin. look on the fan on the outside on the middle and see if it sweating fluid ....if so than it is time to replace....it should be easy to turn when cold and a little bit tougher to turn when hot...

5. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

Another Tip: if it free wheeling under 40K\m or 25Mph then the Clutch is not working also. The Clutch makes the fan free wheel over that speed to gain HP, The truck does not need a fan after that speed because there is enough air coming in the front on the rad @ the + 40K\m or 25Mph speed.
    The way to tell is if there all most no air rushing over the motor @ idel and the fan seem to be running slower than the pulleys." all so good to know what it was like when new to tell" or check your gauges know what temp you run most of the time if it seem to be running much hotter .