engine problems

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 74sbc, Aug 31, 2005.

1. 74sbc

74sbc Member

Today i was idleing kinda low and i noticed white puffs comming out of my passenger side exhaust (smelt like gas), then i popped the hood and noticed it to tick real bad (pass. side, I think its a rocker), i let it run for about 15-20 min.(awhile ticking the whole time) to let it warm up real good. Then i misted the headers with water from a spray bottle to check for heat, the front three pipes on pass. side did not sizzle. i checked the plugs for fouling, all good there.

Any help would be awsome, as i am very pissed off!

2. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

Have you checked your spark plug wires lately? if they are burned, cut, or cracked all up they might jump fire, meaning there's fire in the wire but it most likely isn't reaching the spark plug which isn't burning the fuel which in turn would cause the fuel smell and possibly your exhaust dounut is leaking, that's probly what is making the ticking sound, if the dounut is fine your rocker arms may need ajustment, or your headers are cracked or warped which will also make the ticking sound.

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

3. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

this is a stupid question, but is it missing real bad, your timing can also be off, i forgot to put that in my other thread.

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

4. chevy man06

chevy man06 Member

We just encountered almost the same problem tonight. The engine has maybe 10,000 on a rebuild. It ran strong for awhile then it started missing and ticking. We spent 2 hours fixing exhaust leaks and then the tick was more noticeable. it was puffing white smoke out the drivers side. Smelled like unburned alcohol.(built to run racing fuel). I told my buddy the only way were gonna find out whats wrong is to pull the valve cover. BINGO! there was a rocker sitting in there sideways and 3 more were loose ready to jump. We tightened them down to where the pressure started and put the cover back on and no more ticking and it fires on all 8 with no white smoke at all. just my 2 cents hope this helps.

5. 74sbc

74sbc Member

found a lose rocker, and also looked deeper into the ignition, turns out i had platnum plated plugs, the platnum wore off and wouldnt complete the spark>causing incomplete combustion, crazy shlt huh, i changed the plugs and adjusted my rockers for the sake of it and it runs fine now