305 to 350 swap

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by pipman, Jul 19, 2005.

1. pipman

pipman Member

I have a 86 C 10 with a 305. The thing is smoking really bad and there are some metal on metal squeeling noises coming from the front of the engine, it is the origional motor and has been rebuilt once before by the previous owner. Instead of messing around rebuilding it again I was thinking of pulling it and replacing it with a 350. Will it just fit right in there or is there a lot of changes I'll have to make in order to do this. Will it mount to the trans (TH350) the same way? Are the motor mounts the same? Also is it a good idea to replace other stuff too like the distributor, alternator, water pump, carb, manifolds, and all teh rest of the goodies? This will be the first time I'm attempting something like this, I appreciate all the help I can get!! Also, anybody know where I can get a good 350 long block at a reasonable price?

2. 74sbc

74sbc Member

the 350 should bolt up without a problem, you may want to get stronger motor mounts, but thats your call. JEGS has a pretty descent GM 350crate-engine for a couple grand, and it comes with a new intake, carb and engine dress up kit. Good luck

check out the papers too, you may get lucky and find something

3. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale Member

u ahve to get rid of the 305 manifolds and go to headers... otherwise ur going tohave over heating problems.... and headers are cheap anyway and worth the money to get the power....

________
    EASY VAPE SAFETY

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. pipman

pipman Member

Thanks for the help guys. Hey, 74sbc, I looked all over the Jegs website and couldn't find any crate motors. Do they still make them? Does anybody know anthing good or bad about the GM Goodwrench or Edelbrock 350s?

5. pipman

pipman Member

O.k. I found the motor. the GM Performance Parts 350ci/290hp engine. Where's a good place to find some good motor mounts?
    Thanks.

6. 74sbc

74sbc Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-05 AT 11:16 PM (CST)]i do not think that Chevy Duty has them for what u want, so check out www.LMCTruck.com i use them for just about everything. Can't believe you couldlt find crate engine from JEGS, Have you tried Summit racing? They've got some really good long blocks...

and by the way, edelbrock engines are great for looks and massive amouts of power but i think they are over priced, you can build your own dam pwerplant for that much money and get even better results!

7. Old77

Old77 Member

I just got done doing this last summer with my 77 C-10 that originally came with a 305. I put in a 350 crate motor with 330 hp and it came balanced and blueprinted right out of the box. All we had to do was tweak the timing and the carb tuning and we were rolling. It was definitely worth the money. I got it from www.gmpartsdepot.com and got a pretty good deal on it. The motor mounts are the exact same and it bolted right up to my TH350 that I have in there. It was overall a very straight forward swap. I ended up putting Dynamax headers on along with 40 Series flowmasters in my true duals. I've been happy with it!!