Ventilator Window Seal Replacement

Discussion in 'Classic Parts of America Talk' started by pathos, Oct 7, 2002.

1. pathos

pathos Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-02 AT 12:47 PM (CST)]ARRRG! I have a 1965 C10 PU and this past weekend I "attempted" to replace the seals around the vent windows. Along with the seals I ordered the vent rivets and the vent rivet setting tool(?). As with all window seals it was a pain but I got them in place but when it came time to put in some of the rivets all hell broke loose. I did get one in place but I'm not going to tell you how I did it, it's shameful! Long question short, does anyone have any hints, tips or tricks on how to do this? The real problem seemed to be riveting the straight seal piece to the long divider bar. The divider bar is "U" shaped and therefore it's difficult to set those 3 or 4 rivets in place. HELP!!

2. 59redtruck

59redtruck Member

RE: Vent Window Seal Replacement

Anyone have any tips on this procedure? I'm about to give it a shot, too.

Thanks

1959 Chevy Apache 36 Series 3/4-ton Stake Bed

3. ChevroletC10

ChevroletC10 Member

Well, I found the rivet setting tool to be just about useless in most aplications. For riveting the long seal to the divider bar, the trusty old pop-rivet gun did the trick nicely. The only place I used the setting tool was the main pivot-rivet; but even that I sinched with a pair of non-ribbed jaw vice-grips. Best way I found; hope it helps!

4. sc87

sc87 Member

So, since my rivet tool is on back order, you're saying I'd be better off saving my money and using the trusty old gun?

5. ChevroletC10

ChevroletC10 Member

>So, since my rivet tool is on back order, you're saying I'd
    >be better off saving my money and using the trusty old gun?

'Fraid so!!!!!