Advice 4 ChvyDty, shoppng-challengd

Discussion in 'Classic Parts of America Talk' started by sanfordnson, Nov 30, 2002.

1. sanfordnson

sanfordnson Member

Hello,

My husband and I always buy parts for our truck together, so he always knows what to buy. But when I want to buy some stuff as a surprise, I don't know what the heck I need to buy when the job calls for multiple parts.

How about putting notes on the site pages that says, "To install a mirror, you need these parts: list of parts here."

or Would it make sense to put together "packages" so that the shopping-challenged can buy one package and be able to, say, complete a new visor installation or a rearview mirror installation?

I think it would encourage more people to make purchases. I hate relying on his friends for advice. And I realize that not everyone needs an entire assembly, but some screws or just 1 visor.

But I think it would be really helpful if the pages would list what it would take to redo, say, the wood bed on the truck. Even if they don't need to purchase all of the parts new, at least there is a reference somewhere that lists all of the parts involved in a project.

What do y'all think?

-Cali

2. 57heaven

57heaven Member

RE: Advice 4 ChvyDty, -challengd

:) Howziit Cali!

i don't know about your husband, but i hate surprises.

your husband probably knows EXACTLY what he needs. no offense meant, but you probably don't know what the truck needs.

here's my suggestion: just surprise the man with the $$$, and a homemade "gift certificate", which says GOOD FOR ONE REBUILT CARB/TRANS/MIRROR/ETC.

that way, you won't be buying stuff that your man is not ready to undertake, for one reason or another.

you are a good woman. i can't even get my wife to bring me a drink of water, or even visit me while i'm working on THE PINK LADY...until it's time to go cruising:(

3. sanfordnson

sanfordnson Member

Hi Myron! :)

Actually, we've talked in detail about what needs to be done to the truck. I just want to surprise him and purchase the stuff without him knowing, but I want to make sure that I have all the parts. We need visors (don't exist), new original-looking radio, chrome plate on glovebox, the bench seat re-upholstered, and a brand new wooden bed, just to name the beginning. I've already helped him put in a brand new engine, wiring harness, gas tank, radiator, tires, and we had a new front windshield installed. I guess I am not a typical wife.

We dated for five years and most nights as his new girlfriend, I was under the 86 mustang doing something like helping him put in his H-pipe at 3AM or getting the new tranny in. So I've had a lot of grease on my clothes and dirt in my face. My dad has been in the car business all my life, so I've always respected an industry that put food on the table and clothes on our back.

Thanks for the compliment on being a good wifey. I personally think it is important to be involved in the hobbies of a significant other, in order for the relationship to succeed and withstand time. You've got a Great! idea with the gift certificate. I think I will do that for xmas for the upholstery. Though I'd really like to drive the truck to the shop and get it done. ;)

-c

4. 57heaven

57heaven Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-02 AT 04:12 PM (CST)]:) howziit again -c!

Hmmmm, so you want to drive it to the upholstery shop, huh?

i imagine that a set of assembly manuals for your truck would provide an exploded diagram of the parts involved, in any particular installation/repair.

JMO, since there is so very little that needs to be covered in a truck, i would not leave my truck at the upholstery shop. if it's one thing that tees me off, it's coming home with a few extra dings and scrapes, and having to chase the shop owner, to help pay for his negligence.

i would just unbolt the seat, and haul it to the shop, for an estimate.(they may charge you LESS, because the job seems so SMALL without the truck. they also don't have to worry about removing/re-installing, and storing your vehicle on the premise, while the job is being tackled.)

if your truck does not have any side panels, it is not difficult, to cut cardboard patterns, and have the shop fabricate the panels from what you provide.

to ensure that you have everything for the install, you can always email, or phone the seller, and get that info.(or you can post here; someone probably installed what you're thinking of buying.)

Annnnddd, don't sweat the small stuff. i know that if my wife bought me a supercharger, i'd be trucking to the hardware store/speed shop/machine shop with a big smile on my face, locating the pulleys/belts/carbs/fuel lines/manifold/nuts/bolts/odds and ends, in order to make that blower thing work!

it's all part of the joyous picture, like assembling tinker-toys or model airplanes/trucks, searching, FINDING, BUYING, INSTALLING, ENJOYING.

5. hedgehog

hedgehog Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-02 AT 08:59 PM (CST)]There's nothing mystifying or terribly difficult about upholstery. I know there are aftermarket kits that will restore your ride to stock appearance; all you need is hog-ring pliers and rings (I prefer shoat rings, easier to use in tight areas). New foam can be sculpted with an electric meat knife and attached with spray adhesive.

If you want a custom interior, you can either pay big $$ or buy an industrial sewing machine. By carefully cutting the stitching from the old seatcovers, you can get a pattern for the new ones. Buy a whole roll of whatever fabric you like and go nuts. Even if you make tons of mistakes, your cost will be half what a shop will charge.

"Pass the cutting torch, I'm done f***ing around." -hedgehog

6. sanfordnson

sanfordnson Member

Good idea to take the bench seat out. OMG, he was actually thinking of bringing the truck to Mexico (we live in San Diego) and getting it upholstered. I talked him out of that real quick. Screw saving a few bucks when I can't be sure that we'd get the truck back!

So I am "over" the surprising bit. I told him let's get the upholstery done. We'll bring it soon. Now... I'm having a bit of trouble finding out if "original" color of seat is light color. A dark grey seems more practical though.

7. 57heaven

57heaven Member

:+ they'd be using your truck for border crossing!LOL!

sorry, not meaning to insult/disrespect any Mexican chevy truckers.

personally, i don't like leaving my toys in repair shops, unless i REALLY have to. then, it's only at one shop i trust.

8. YZKEN250

YZKEN250 Member

I TOOK MY 57 CHEVY PU TO ROSARITO BEACH MEXICO TO HAVE ALL THE BODY WORK DONE AND THE SUSPENSION AND BRAKES DONE. I HAD ALL THE UPOLSTRY DONE THERE AND IT ALL CAME OUT PERFECT. HAD THE SEAT REDONE AND A COMPLETE CARPET KIT AND A HEADLINER. COST ME $230. WOULD HAVE COST ME 10 TIMES THAT MUCH IN THE U.S. MY DAD LIVES THERE SO I HAD SOMEONE TO WATCH ALL THE WORK. HAD MY 95 F-150 STOLEN THERE IN 97 AND THEY STOLE MY DADS CAR ON CHRISTMAS EVE 2 YEARS AGO. YOU NEED TO STAY WITH YOUR TRUCK THE WHOLE TIME BUT THE WORK IS GOOD AND IT COSTS LESS.:)

9. tech1

tech1 Member

RE: Advice 4 ChvyDty,

Any time you are ordering from our sales staff and you are unsure what it takes to complete a job just ask, and we will gladly recomend what all you will need .