Wiring in a horn?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by lwin517, Mar 27, 2004.

1. lwin517

lwin517 Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am working on a 50 Chevy PU that has a late model (1991) GM steering column out of a van installed. The person who installed it did not wire in a set of horns. Where can I find the horn wire in the steering column, what color is the wire? Do I then need to install a relay? Any advice will help.
    Thanks
    larry

2. Nic_Rebel450CA

Nic_Rebel450CA Member

I am not sure that there is a standard color for the horn wire, but I am getting ready to wire up my horns and I can let you know what color the wire is for me. I am pretty sure you need relays, but not sure. I have relays on my truck already so I never checked that out much. You can probably find the wire with a multimeter (or a light bulb) with one end connected to the wire you are testing, and, I believe, the other end actually goes to positive. (Not certain that it goes to positive hopefully someone can confirm).

Oh, and as a tip from experience...
    If you are testing the horn, do not hold the horn in one hand and touch the wire to your battery with the other hand. Exposed horn about 10 inches from your ear is a little loud. :+

3. tech1

tech1 Member

The horn wire should be orange and I would definitaly use a relay