Parts WANTED for a 51 GMC 1/2 ton

Discussion in 'Truck Parts for Sale' started by Dallas, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Dallas

Dallas Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-03 AT 03:29 AM (CST)]Here are the parts I need:

1. SM 420 (4 speed tranny) I dont need bell houseing, just the tranny, and floor cover w/hole. Also need linkage and shifter w/it. You can have my 3-speed/column.

2. Under the bed spare tire bracket.

3. Original Radio (yeah, i know. . rare!)

4. Passenger running board, long bed. METAL only!

5. Cash to buy these items. LOL.

Let me know, Thanks.

Dallas - Colorado Springs, CO area

dmaddox@intranetsinc.com

2. Glen

Glen Member

RE: Parts WANTED for a 51 GMC

Dallas,
    I can help you with the 420 transmission, or at least a source for one. Try Steve Akers at www.aandptruck.com They are in Oklahoma City. I just bought a new military version of the 420 from him for $600. He has a few of them. They are military surplus. You will need the top off of your old transmission and the rear cover, where the speedometer hooks up, and your yoke. The PTO access hole has been cast over. Other than that, its an exact replacement for the Muncie 420. Steve says you can take all the guts out of this one an put in an old box, if you need a pto. Hope this helps. If you still need an old for parts, try most big salvages.

3. Dallas

Dallas Member

Glen,

If I buy a SM420 w/o a yoke, how does it work? I mean, I just took off my 3 speed (remember it has a torque tube, not a yoke type). If I want to stay with the torque tube (closed diff) is there a way to scrap that part off of my 3speed, or is there a special sm420 I need to get to be able to plug in there?

Thanks again,

Dallas

4. Glen

Glen Member

Dallas,
    I am refering to the front half of the front u joint (yoke). The yoke on those military 420's is a little different. I just used my old one. I was thinking the torque tube required a slip joint inside the transmission. Of course I could be wrong. I usually only mess with seconds series and early 60's. I just don't know much about the torque tube set up.

5. Dallas

Dallas Member

Yeah, the torque tube setup is a little different.

I usually post everything on stovebolt (great group) but ran into this while shopping.

my string over there is here:
    http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=004023

Anyway, I am still trying to figure out a solution for the swap, and or figure out what to do.

:-(

Anyone?

-dallas

6. coratru

coratru Member

try www.oldchevytrucks.com they have radios but they are hiigh:)