54 drive train

Discussion in 'Truck Parts for Sale' started by MAKANDZAK, Jan 11, 2004.

1. MAKANDZAK

MAKANDZAK Member

Complete drive train for $600.00 or part out for $200.00 a peice motor and trainy worked when pulled ,rear end and chassie also worked good when parked .So make offer I jusy want it out of my way. motor is a 235 ,trainy is a 4 speed auto and the rear end and front end worked good .

2. tclederman

tclederman Member

What model transmission - standard '54 HydraMatic?

What model (and ratio) rear end - 3.90, '54, enclosed driveshaft?

And, most important, what is your location?

Thanks,
    Tim

3. MAKANDZAK

MAKANDZAK Member

The trainy is a hydro,the rear end I have know idea on what ratio it is the guy I got it from rebuilt it 5 yrs before I got it and the motor was suppose to have been rebuilt to . I live in Otterbein In.

4. tclederman

tclederman Member

Just in case you are not aware of this: if it is an original 1954 HydraMatic drivetrain, the engine and transmission were supposedly matched at the factory (a statement/warning about this is cast into the transmission). Also, the rear end (if it is an enclosed driveshaft) only works with the HydraMatic transmission (which is about 5 inches longer than the 3-speed/4-speed).

Also, the frame has an extra crossbar but this is at the rear of the transmission and should not be a problem.

Wish I lived closer to you (I'm near Albany, NY). I would try to work out a trade for cab/frames. I have a 5-window '54 and am looking for a '54 cab/frame from a HydraMatic.

Good luck,
    Tim

5. oldtruckluvr

oldtruckluvr Member

im interested in the rearend. how much are you asking for just the rearend? I live in central illinois. My rearend just went out on my 54. Thanks
    oldtruckluvr

6. MAKANDZAK

MAKANDZAK Member

I realy want to sell the frame and rear end together for $200.00.But I need to know if you have a manual trany or an auto becuase the drive shaft that is used for the auto is longer then the manual and it is a two peice drive shaft and not a single one ,and I have the one that gose to the automatic I dont want to sell you somthing that you cant use .

7. tclederman

tclederman Member

MAKANDZAK,

If you want me to keep out of this discussion, please let me know.

What model 1954 truck do you have? A 1/2 ton (enclosed driveshaft) or larger truck (open driveshaft)? Do you have plate with ID and serial number in the driver's side door opening (post it if you want a confirmation of the model). This will affect the frame and driveshaft length (and style).

The 1954 1/2 ton truck had enclosed driveshafts no matter what transmission was installed. The 3-speed and 4-speed enclosed driveshafts were the same length. The HydraMatic transmission was longer than the manual transmissions and thus the enclosed driveshaft (one piece) was shorter than the one used with manual transmissions.

All sizes of 1955 Chevrolet & GMC trucks had open driveshafts. Do you have a Chevy or a GMC?

Tim

8. oldtruckluvr

oldtruckluvr Member

i have a 1954 chevy 3100 p/u. It has the hydramatic tranny and an inclosed driveshaft. The door post i.d. plate was not on the truck when i bought it. thanks
    oldtruckluvr

9. MAKANDZAK

MAKANDZAK Member

I have no problem with you beeing in this ,I am glad you asked , my vin number is H54N026449 chevy 3100 the more I find out about my old truck the smarter I become so THANKS for the info on this I dont want to sell something that nobody can use .

10. GregH

GregH Member

I may be interested if it is still available...Would need as much as driveline as would be availabe. Was toying with idea of switching from 3 speed column to auto as completely and correctly as possible. If anyone else has info on what all would be needed for swap, I would appreciate any input. Thanks G.H.

11. MAKANDZAK

MAKANDZAK Member

I still have everything but you would need to get a steering box and column mine got damage when I took it a part I still have the shift indecator and steering wheel .

12. GregH

GregH Member

would the parts that are different for hydra switchover be available?

13. MAKANDZAK

MAKANDZAK Member

yes I still have them trany, frame , and rear end

14. GregH

GregH Member

You are a long way away, but I am very interested/tempted...any chance of getting any photos and possibly e-mail me a phone number and a good time to try and get ahold of you so I can get more details and possibly make this thing work out for both of us? churchill@pldi.net thanks g.h.

15. GregH

GregH Member

Been lining up transport/help and actually found out that we have friends in Bedford so this might not be as tough as I originally thought.

16. oldtruckluvr

oldtruckluvr Member

Do you still have the 1954 speedometer and gas guage for sale? Thanks
    oldtruckluvr