16-inch 8-bolt wheels

Discussion in 'Truck Parts for Sale' started by gregs, Mar 8, 2004.

1. gregs

gregs Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-08-04 AT 06:21 PM (CST)]gotta do this periodically. . . still looking for four wheels as above, for a '52 3/4 ton. I know they're hard to find :( but hoping one of these days we'll hit the proverbialy home run :)

thanx much!

2. millerd

millerd Member

Greg, I am dealing with a related issue. I have a set of 16/8 lug SPLIT RIMs on my 58 Fleetside 3/4 ton that I will be taking off by early this summer. My plan is to either have Stockton Wheel modify them, which they assure me they can do, or to replace them with solid wheels, pre '67 chevy 8 lug. I am not real comfortable with the whole split rim thing, but they are the originals, so would handle clips and the original hub caps. I don't think anyone should be using split rims these days, but if it is an authenticity issue, I guess you might consider them.

3. 1950chevrolet

1950chevrolet Member

Greg,where are you located???,,,I know a place where they might have 3/4 ton chevs or GMC's,,(47-53)It's about 12 miles south of me,,I remember taking a carburetor out of a 54/55 chev truck,,I think it coulda been a 3/4 ton,,It's called Glenz's salvage yard,,I know the guy pretty good,,I got some parts for my 50 1/2 ton there,,,Just trying to help a fellow "StoveBolter",,,Dave:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

4. gregs

gregs Member

Hi Dave. . . I'm in Wausau, WI. Where are you located?
    for the record, I think I might have found some locally just yesterday, but have to wait until May to know for sure, as the guy that has them winters in AZ.

5. millerd

millerd Member

Greg, I'm in Upstate NY, but will be heading out to the midwest in mid-late May. I'm looking to replace my rims w/ solid wheels, pre-67 Chevy/GMC 8 lug, or w/ 8 lug solids that came with 55-59 3/4 ton. At one point I did see a set of the latter that were 15". David

6. 1950chevrolet

1950chevrolet Member

gregs: i'm located 75 miles west of you,,Cadott is the place im in,,So we're Kinda neighbors,,,I'll talk to the guy( Glenz ) in the near future,,Just in case,,,Dave:7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

7. gregs

gregs Member

Thanx Dave. . . and now that you say you're in Cadott, I think I remember discussing wheels with you earlier. . . I think you had a set, but on a truck for sale at the time;) but yeah, if you don't mind, please check with the guy. . . if he has some available, I can make the drive

8. 1950chevrolet

1950chevrolet Member

Gregs: i talked to Pat Glenz this Morning and he said he should have some Rims around there,,Now the question is what exactly kind of rims do you need???,,Split rims???,,17" Rims??,,15" rims,,,I know you said 8-hole rims,,But i guess there are different kinds for those years,,I'm guessing just regular 8-hole 3/4 ton chevy truck (47-53)rims,Right???,,Dave:) :)

9. gregs

gregs Member

Hi--been out of town. . . Specifically, I'm looking for four 16" rims, one-piece, 8-lug, that will accomodate the old clip-type hubcaps. spacing on the lugs appears to be 2-1/2" center-to-center. I'm told they're out there, but very rare. So if you know someone that has some, I'm definitely interested.

thanx much:)

10. PDM

PDM Guest

You might take a look at this post on another list:
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/old-chevy-truck/message/12323

"16 x 6" 8-bolt rim that according to Chesapeake Rim and Wheel (or CRW)
    here in Baltimore, MD (phone 410 866-3300) was used on Ford F150 pickups from
    1967 to 1999 and F250 pickups and E250 Econoline vans from 1967 to 1991.
    Their part number is X45304.
    This Ford rim has the same 6 1/2 inch bolt circle as the 1949 Chevy 8-bolt.
    The backspacing is about 4 inches compared to about 3 1/2 inches on my old
    Chevy rims"

For hubcap clip installation look at :
    http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/smokey_culver/hubcaps.htm

I too have 8 lug wheels and have been contemplating the above updates.
    Good Luck! Peter

11. gregs

gregs Member

thanx :) but think I'll pass on the split rims, although I'm told there is someone locally here that will still mount on them. Just one place though. . .

12. 48 chevy

48 chevy Member

My 1 ton 48 chevy came with 17 inch split rims.I didnt like the idea of split rims and wanted radials so I needed to find some different rims.I went to a shop that built utility trailers and a guy looked at my original rim and at the backspacing and stuff and came out with a 16 inch smooth steel rim that bolted up fine.It also left about a 1/4 inch gap between it and the tie rod.The best thing is that it looks like if I screw those clips in those new rims I bet my original hubcap will fit.

13. gregs

gregs Member

wow, that is interesting. . . I'm gonna have to measure my hubcaps. . . I bought some repros from Chevy Duty. . . not cheep, but sure are pretty. Now just need some wheels that will accept them.

thanx much:)