Want a 350 instead of a 283?

Discussion in 'Truck Parts for Sale' started by Nic_Rebel450CA, Jan 20, 2004.

1. Nic_Rebel450CA

Nic_Rebel450CA Member

Just checking to see if there is anyone interested in getting rid of a 283 in favor of a 350. I have a really nice 350 in my truck that I am going to be pulling in favor of a big block, and I have a car that needs a small-block, but I dont want to use the 350. It is a light car, so I am thinking about building up a 283, or making a DZ302.

My 350 is a 1988 Chevy 350 (possibly 4-bolt, not certain), edelbrock performer intake, mild (unknown) cam, Rochester Q-Jet Spreadbore carb (about a 650 CFM).

I may be parting with the TH-400 transmission in the truck as well.

Unless the 283 is in tip-top shape, I wont consider a straight trade, but I am not looking for much $$.

2. Nic_Rebel450CA

Nic_Rebel450CA Member

*bump*

come on, no one has even viewed this post

3. ljw

ljw Member

I don't understand why go the expense with a 350 already,but you can build a screamer of a 283 or 302 if you want to.Unless you're an engine builder,don't expect it to be cheap.Core 283 block are still plentiful just about anyplace,and I suggest using modern vortec heads.I had a motor built for my truck(383 stroker),which runs great with some modern tech.It's not like the antique heads didn't make any power,but not like this!

4. Nic_Rebel450CA

Nic_Rebel450CA Member

Simply the fact that a 350 is not the engine that I want for the car. It does not have the powerband characteristics that I want for this light car. A 350 is not a universal perfect engine, though it is perfect for many setups.

I do plan to build the engine myself, and am aware that it will still be expensive, however, it wont be any more expensive than building a strong 350. The shortblock of a 283 for the crank is about the same cost as buying a crank for a 350. The pistons, heads, intake, etc. are the same price as you can use the same parts as you would use for a 350.

I actually needed to update this thread as I am no longer looking. I have a new addition to the family coming and will need to put this project on the back burner for a while.

5. j0oftheworld

j0oftheworld Member

Where do you live?
    No 283 here but interested in a sbc.
    I'm in Phoenix AZ
    thx

6. sevenpets0

sevenpets0 Guest

If you are still looking for a 283 I am pulling a great one from my 66 in about 6 weeks. It seems to have been rebuilt. It is a 2 barrel engine and does not smoke or leak. Runs great. I am looking for $200 out of it because it does not need a rebuild. Just a thought.

7. Drel Pryn

Drel Pryn Member

$200 for a running 283? Sound ok where are you located?

8. sevenpets0

sevenpets0 Guest

I am in the Kansas City area. Work email is Gpate1@hallmark.com Phone number is 913-484-4492.