engine id

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by 74X4Burb, Feb 14, 2004.

1. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

I am trying to figure out what year the engine is in my 68' GMC 1/2 ton truck.its a 307 and the number I got is FIIOoDE anybody know were I can find out what year this is.thanks.Karl

________
    Marijuana seed

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. timpage

timpage Member

http://www.nastyz28.com/sbchevy/spcode4.html

Check out that link... I use that site to decode many of my small block's and parts. The first letter in your code is a plant code, the 2nd thru 5th is a date code, and the 6th and 7th are your engine codes (in your case DE). Since you already know that your engine is a 307, of the 3 DE codes listed there is only one 307, listing it as a '68 model year engine.

Hope that helps and makes sense.

Tim

3. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-04 AT 09:39 PM (CST)]Went to the site, and that brought up another question.what is the A F X under the body description stand for?.Thanks alot.Karl

________
    AVANDIA LAWSUIT

4. timpage

timpage Member

Dont quote me on this... I am far from an expert on Chevy cars, but I do believe they (A,F,X) are body series or chassis series of cars. If I understand right several different Chevy cars probably used the same chassis, so car A and car B may have been a F chassis car, for example. Something along those lines anyway. Hope someone jumps in on this to get me closer in-line with it.

Hope that helps a little.
    Tim

5. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member