230 or 292

Discussion in 'Trucks for Sale' started by Zanes_Truck_64, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Zanes_Truck_64

Zanes_Truck_64 Member

My name is Zane Merrill and I have a 1964 Chevrolet C10. I have no idea what size engine my truck has, but I have narrowed it down. It is a straight 6 and I learned it is either a 230ci or a 292ci. Does anyone know how to tell which size it is? I would really appreciate the help if anyone knew. Please e-mail me at zanep51@juno.com if you can help me.

2. Glen

Glen Member

I am looking at my '63 shop manual. The 230 block (which by the way is virtually the same as a later model 250) has the fuel pump located close to the right front side of the engine, just ahead of the side motor mount, and the spin on oil filter screws on on the right front side. The 230 also has a flat, dry air filter with a single vacuum line from the top rear of the valve cover, to the side of the intake manifold. The 292 has the fuel pump located midway on the right side, looks like its mid-way between cylinders 3 & 4. The oil filter is a cartridge type that hangs straight down. It has an oil bath air filter (which could have been changed in 40 years) with a second vacuum line running from the air filter to the front of the valve cover. The 292 was used until just a few years ago. If its a 292 someone could have put on a modern carb and breather system.

My suggestion is to get a '64 shop manual, and do some more comparisons. The 292 is also a taller engine. It has a 4 1/8 " stroke. The 230 only has a 3 1/4" stroke.

Hope this helps.