6.50L Turbo Diesel?

Discussion in 'Trucks for Sale' started by jelbass, Feb 13, 2002.

1. jelbass

jelbass Member

I need some input on these Turbo Diesel motors. The only diesel I've work with was on the farm it was my Dad tractor. They were hard working in the fields, the only problem with it was getting it started. I've seen a ad on a 94 crew cab long bed look like a good price 5000.00 it has 140,000miles on it. What are the + and - of these motors? What kind of mileges will these motor get(1Ton pickup)? I'll be using it for fishing trips and vacations. Any suggestion on problems to look for went I go to see the truck.
    Thank's and God bless all. Jelbass

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-02 AT 00:32 AM (CST)]well for starters Chevy diesels were not that powerful. I don't know about the turbo diesels, but i'm sure it is alot more powerful than just a regular diesel. That is a good price for the vehicle.You should get about 300,000 miles on the motor, if you service it right and maintain it good. You will probably get good fuel mileage.
    Cowboy

3. bigmike

bigmike Member

The 6.5 Chevy diesel is a little more powerful than the older 6.2, but it doesn't get as good of fuel mileage. I have had a couple of 6.2L pickups that got excellent mileage - 20 mpg or better almost every tank. The 6.5 I had got fair mileage - 16 or 17 mpg. None of the 6.2's were turbo, because I've been told that a turbo on a 6.2 won't last, and that a 6.5 will last longer (the 6.2 was never designed for a turbo - the 6.5 was). Everybody claims that a turbo increases power and mileage. It's my experience that a 6.2 has about the same power as a 350 Chevy gas motor, and a 6.5 turbo has more power than that but less than a 454 Chevy gas. If you aren't pulling anything big (by big I mean 7500# or more) you'll be OK with the power of the 6.5 turbo. If you want to pull a huge camper or your 30 foot yacht, I'd suggest looking for a 454 and suffering with 10-12 mpg.

As for starting - I've seen a lot of worn out diesel motors, tractors and pickups, start because they have good batteries and a good starter. A diesel motor works because of extremely high compression, and you need to spin that motor over fast if you want to get any compression when you're starting it. If it turns over too slow, the air bleeds by the piston rings and the cylinders never build good pressure. This situation gets worse as the motor gets more worn out, but like I said, a good set a batteries and a good starter (and good glow plugs - but I've never had glow plugs go bad) will keep that pickup starting when it gets pretty cold. Unless, that is, the fuel gells. If you don't know what this is, you probably should stay away from diesels.

4. YZKEN250

YZKEN250 Member

MY DAD HAS A TURBO DIESEL VW BUG. THE TURBO WAS NOT KICKING IN SO HE TOOK IT TO THE DEALER. AFTER THEY TORE IT APART THEY FOUND A LOT OF WAX BUILD UP IN THE INTAKE MANIFOLD. THEY SAID THAT THE DIESEL FUEL WAS CAUSING THIS.BS. THEY DIDNT WANT TO PAY SO HE IS GOING TO ARBITRATION WITH VW. THE DIESEL FUEL CO. SAID THAT THERE IS NO WAY THAT THEIR FUEL COULD CAUSE THIS BUILD UP. SO I DONT TRUST DIESEL MOTORS TURBO ONES ANYWAY.:(

5. bobinmaine

bobinmaine Member

hey i own a 1993 gmc 1 ton 4wd with the 6.5 turbo deisel motor is a bull watch out for tranny troubles mine has a 480el auto if yours has this make sure tranny oil cooler is huge if it is standard i guess disregard i would buy another truck with that motor it is a torque monster hope this helps see ya

6. 87_Chevy_4x4

87_Chevy_4x4 Member

1994 was the first yea for te electronic fuel injection pump,and I've hard tht they were dogs about going bad. I've been told that is what kills the re-sale value on trucks from that time period. If I were looking for a 6.5 I'd go for a 93, which would still have the mechanical fuel pump. You could also look at a later 90's model, after they got the fuel pump bugs worked out. If you're gonna be doing any heavy towing then make sure the truck has either the five-speed standard shift or the 4L80E. If you go for the automatic then install a larger tranny cooler up front.