tough column shifter

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by Nic_Rebel450CA, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Nic_Rebel450CA

Nic_Rebel450CA Member

I have been having a lot of trouble with my column shifter this winter. When the truck is cold, the column shifter is extremely hard to move, but when it is all warmed up it moves just fine. I know that I can loosen the little collar behind the spring, but then this makes the shifter move way too easily when it is warmed up. Is there some component that I can replace so it doesnt do this in the cold? Is it that spring itself, or something else?

2. homeyj

homeyj Member

spray GM penetrating fluid into the column were the shifter comes out of the column

work the fluid in by spraying and having somebody move the shifter back & forth

this should cure your problem

3. smoov330

smoov330 Member

If the penetrating fluid doesnt work you'll have to dis assemble everything, clean out all of the old grease and re-grease. Whats happening is the grease has broken down. I've seen grease get almost completely hard at room temp but soften up when heat is applied.

4. Nic_Rebel450CA

Nic_Rebel450CA Member

Ya, my Dad was saying it's probably the grease too. What happens is that it will move side to side just fine, but having to pull it forward to shift out of park and such is hard as heck. I have to pull with everything I've got to move it. If it was a FORD it would have been broken long ago! :7