'74 Suburban restore and swap

Discussion in 'Blazers/Jimmys/Suburbans' started by 74x4SUB, Apr 9, 2002.

1. 74x4SUB

74x4SUB Member

We own a '74 1/2 ton suburban that I want to restore and swap axles and shocks from a 3/4 ton. I also want to convert it to part time 4x4 and want to crank out at least a hundred more horsepower and improve gas milelage.The question is how?. how hard is it put 3/4 ton axels and suspension under a 1/2 ton.Whats involved in converting it to part time 4x4 I know you need a new transfer case and hubs but how do I get the old hubs off? And whats the easyist way to get the body off the frame?. Any help,suggestions,or tips are a great help. Thanks. Karl

2. burban

burban Member

hey, i have recently been working on my (new to me) 74 chevy suburban 1/2 ton, i can't talk long because i am in class right now, but if you read this you should e-mail me at pauldorisse@juno.com. i'd love to share info with you. take it easy
    Paul
    look out cause here i come

3. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-02 AT 03:50 PM (CST)]I changed my user name to 74x4burb, I could never retrieve my password. Well anyways we had the ol beast converted to part time 4x4 but it still has the same transfer case (203). Now I have another problem I go out to start it and the lock wont even turn to the 'on' position so I beat the snot out of it and I finaly got the darn thing to move but Im wonderin if its the ignition switch or the lock.Thanks Karl:-(

________
    Vaaapp vaporizer

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  4. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

O.K. got the ignition lock fixed! now I need to know if door panels from a 77'-80' sub will work on a 74'? it looks like the window crank handels are in a different place but its hard to tell from a photo. If yall know I would like to hear from ya
    . thanks. Karl. :)

________
    Babi Mac Proved That

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011