Blazer top

Discussion in 'Blazers/Jimmys/Suburbans' started by cool73chevy, Oct 4, 2001.

1. cool73chevy

cool73chevy Member

hey guys i have a 73 chevy blazer, i haven't taken the top off yet, because i don't know how heavy it is, anyone know? and when i take it off do i have to lift it or are there some rails where it slides off??

2. 56picup

56picup Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-01 AT 01:36 PM (CST)]Bought one new in '72. Brought our new-born son home from the hospital in the console--he's 27 now. The top lifts straight off and back after the bolts are removed. A couple of guys could handle the top (four would be better) but we used a boat winch and a pulley system connected to two pieces of doubled-over webbing that four bolts for the top ran through. Then we dropped it down and stored it on a couple of saw horses.

If it is an original top, it may be susceptible to spreading and thus cracking at the seams from taking it on and off. Be careful not to damage the weather stripping during removal and replacement. Just a word to the wise.

3. Zeppelin

Zeppelin Member

I have a 74 Blazer and we can usually take it off with 2 strong people. I don't put it on at all any more because I have a soft top for it now.

Zeppelin
    74 Blazer
    350/TH350/NP203
    6" Susp. lift
    35" TSL-SX
    Kayline Soft-top

4. CASurfer

CASurfer Member

What kind of wind noise/flappings and leaks do you get with your soft top. What brand is it? I am shopping for a soft top but I am very skeptical about noise and leaks.

Thanks,
    Sean

5. 1965_Hybrid

1965_Hybrid Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-02 AT 04:01 AM (CST)]My best friend has a Blazer. We take the hard top of his pretty much every day it gets warm in the summer or spring. I'm guessing it might weigh anywhere between 150-200 lbs or maybe even less than that. It's fairly easy. Once the bolts are removed we would have one guy (usually me) sit inside and lift while the other guy was in the back picking it up from the ground and walking backwards with it. When i got to the back i would pick it up, kick the tailgate down then jump off. It's a pain on the knees but nothing is better then runnin' around topless! lol. As for the soft-top check out this website: www.Coloradok5.com It's mostly a 4x4 site and they will honestly help you out on anything. I've learned a good deal from them.

Matt