split rims!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by edwin wells, Jun 27, 2006.

1. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Hello All,

I am one of those guys who tunes in to the forum every few days or so, but like an awkward kid at his first dance I rarely leave the wallflower status. But as I am in the middle of restoring a 51 3/4 ton I need advice on the wheels. My question is 2 part:

Should I replace the split rim wheels (are they dangerous when driving or only when being inflated)

What is a one piece wheel that would replace my current 8 lug wheels and let me keep my tires and origional hubcaps. Would a wheel from a later model 3/4 ton truck (mebbe a 54 or so) do the trick?

Thanks to all of you for the great info over the last year or so!

Edwin

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Edwin ;

Yes , they -can- be dangerous , esp. when inflating but this danger can be managed by wrapping with chain or using a " tire cage "when inflating .

You must also break down all five rims and check for cracks or excessive rusting de-rust and re-paint .

I know many newer 8 lug rims will fit , the deal is : you gota watch the back spacing (offset) as many newer rims sit too far in and will foul against the tie rod ends as well as making your track a little narrower .

Resist the urge to use shims or flat washers on the studs to hold the wrong wheels out as there's usually wheels to be found if you look hard enough .

-Nate

3. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Thanks Nate, I looked at the rims and they seem to be in good shape. I'll de-rust and inspect again before repainting. Appreciate the advice.

Edwin

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: split rim SAFETY !

Well and good , just remember to either make or buy a tire cage (cheap @ auction) or get some sturdy chain and a couple padlocks and USE IT every time you air up a tire......

-Nate

5. brit 50

brit 50 Member

RE: split rim SAFETY !

Just to expand on the safety side, I lost a good friend of mine shortly after leaving school, he incorrectly used a safety cage when inflating a truck tyre at a shop his father owned, they are lethal unless you treat them with respect, do it safetly and you can do it again, if you don't you won't!

Mad dog and englishman!

________
    HERBAL VAPORIZERS

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Tire Safety Cage

Sorry to hear of this .

I my old shop I had a poster showing a mechanic _inside_ the tire safety cage , reaching through the bars to inflate a tire lying on the floor while the shop manager is saying " I don't think the new guy understands how to use the tire cage...." .

(if you're not a mechanic this won't sound funny to you)

-Nate

7. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Thanks guys- just to play safe I had my Mother in Law inflate 'em.

8. brit 50

brit 50 Member

Sir, I bow down to your superior intelligence, what a man.

Mad dog and englishman!

________
    Fisting vagina

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  9. jwvonl

jwvonl Member

AFter the split rims came the 16.5" wheels, then the 16" and disks. THe main advantage to the "newer" wheels was the ability to go tubeless. (This also happened when going braless became the rage). The 16.5" rims offer a great number of tire options over the 16". I have a '47 3/4 Ton and am in the process of going to 6 hole wheels. Very easy to do, as the bearings, hub & brakes are the same size on 1/2 ton to 1 ton.
    I recently saw a '51 1/2 ton with the original axle & 5 hole rims front & rear. THe owner said the hubs & rear came fom a '75 or so Buick. I have not researched this parts swap yet, as it is intriguing.

John v L

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

IIRC a guy over on The StoveBolt Page told me that some year of F*rd Econoline wheels not only fit the 6 lug hubs but had the correct back spacing and were 16" to boot .

I found a set and offered them up , of course no one ever wanted them so I forgot all the details .

You can always use Chevy passenger car 16" rims , they're 6 lug , bolt right up and have the proper basck spacing , lots of hot rodders toss them out or sell cheaply...

I found mine buried in the Mojave Desert , only paid $10.00 each and then had them powder coated .

11. edwin wells

edwin wells Member

Thanks guys - I really appreciate all of the great info!