Conversion to HEI from Points Distro

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by Darthmole, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Darthmole

Darthmole Member

I have a '68 C10 longbed with a non-stock 350 (previous owners converted from a 6) and a points-type distributor. I have an HEI Chevy distro from a later model Chevy truck and wish to replace the old points-type distro. I think I have figured out the correct way for the wiring hookup, but would like to know if there is a 'sure-fire' diagram out there that I can use as reference out there anywhere that 'shows me the way'. the last thing I want to do is kill a perfectly good HEI distro by testing Murphy's Law. ( I do have the correct terminal hooks for the distributor end - will need to splice in.) Thanks In Advance.

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Not a diagram, but a darn good check list.

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/hei.htm

The only hook-up needed is a length of 12 guage wire to a 12 volt source. You CAN hook into the fuse box, but I recommend splicing into the PINK ignition switch wire. Use one of those handy splice adapters, that crimp down with ordinary pliers, found at any hardware store. Then a female crimp-on connector on the other end and connect to the BAT terninal on the HEI.

DVal

3. chevy man06

chevy man06 Member

Darthmole,
    I have done this on a few trucks so far and all I have done is traced the wire back to the firewall plug and replace with a heavier wire and a female connector 12 gauge should be plenty heavy. I have 1 truck running with 14 gauge too. Make sure you connect to the Bat terminal and not the Tach terminal. This way will make a clean conversion and not as cobbled. No offense to Dvalentine but I have tried the way he explained in a pinch and ended up replacing it anyway because the connection corroded and my truck wouldnt start. good luck