74 suburban speedo

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by 74X4Burb, Aug 12, 2006.

1. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

the speedo in my 74 burb was not working, so i pulled the cable out of the gauge and drove down the road and the cable dident turn, so i disconnected the cable from the little box on t-case, and i removed the little box, and connected the cable right to the t-case and now it works. so i was wondering what this box is. Is it a calibration box? or something else. the gauge seems to be working right.thanks for any info. Karl

2. swenson89

swenson89 Member

that little "box" is probably a speedometer correction box, aka callibration gearbox, i had to get one with a differnt gear ratio in it when i put bigger tires on my 71 pickup. i do not remember if they are made by stewert warner or who makes them, all i know is bying them new is very costly but they can be located in junkyards., thats were i got mine. You may want to check to see how close your speedometer is to being 100% accurate, have someone pace you in another car my speedometer turned out to be around 15 mph under what i was really going.
    Mabye that is not what your box on the TC was for but with my experinces that was what they are used for. hope this helps

3. 74X4Burb

74X4Burb Member

Thanks. I found out what it was soon after i posted this.I pulled one off my 79 parts burb and took it for a ride and it was about 20 mph to fast.anyway thanks again.karl

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2006