Tranny tail shaft question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by c17hydro1, Dec 28, 2003.

1. c17hydro1

c17hydro1 Member

Got a 75 chevy here and have a question, why do I have tranny fluid leaking out of the front driveshaft yoke? It leaks out of a weep hole on the yoke and only when the truck is parked in an uphill position. I have replaced the tailshaft seal already because that area was wet from fluid. It is a TH350 mated to a 305.

2. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Are you sure your yoke isn't worn and/or damaged so much that the seal can't make a tight fit? Is your driveshaft length correct and the yoke in the proper position? Check those 2 things, I hope one will solve your problem.

3. homeyj

homeyj Member

there is supposed to be a female yoke seal assy inside the tail shaft hsg/that seals oil from the yoke itself.
    re,ove tail shaft hsg and inspect for tin coupling that yoke goes into
    is it missing,loose or is seal missing

4. SPORTTRUCK70

SPORTTRUCK70 Member

I'm not sure if the TH350's had the tin female sleve with the O-ring seal in the tail shaft housings, I know for sure GM used them on the 700R4. Anyway theres a easy fix for your problem that your having, a company called 'Teckpak-Fitzall' makes a seal that goes inside the driveshaft slip yoke to block off the hole in the yoke. Its made for the TH350 and the 700R4. You should be able to get it at a transmission shop, if they've heard of it. If not you can give them the 'Teckpak-Fitzall' part number for it 35746YS. If they don't have them yet they need to order the kit KT3507, the kit includes seals and the install tool. Its a lot harder than it looks to get that seal in right without the tool and not damaging it, so I'd recomend giving them the driveshaft to install it, and you don't have to take the yoke off the driveshaft to put the seal in. :D

5. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

some have vent back there, or some on top

Some on the older I think 75 or 76 had vent hole there for the Trans, so all ways back up the hill or get a newer tail shaft yoke. Or go to a Trans shop tell them that your parking on a hill and you would like to try to keep the tran fluid from leaking. They might have a another trans vented on the top of the Trans.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2006