How rare is our truck

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by ponygirl, Sep 8, 2006.

1. ponygirl

ponygirl Member

Hello,
    I am new to this forum and am trying to find some answers to my questions that i have about my 1959 gmc (9310) fleetside truck. I have tryed to insert a picture but not sure how to do it. Can someone help me?

thanks,
    ponygirl

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Don't know how rare it is, but I do know that it was manufactured in Canada. The '59 Canadian GMC light trucks used Chevy six cylinder (instead of GMC sixes) and small V8 engines were Chevy 283 V8s instead of US GMC Pontiac based V8s.

There was no actual model 9310, even though that may be what the chrome trim says. 9310 was actually a series of models. Check the tag on the driver's side door pillar for complete model ID. The first 5 digits tell all about model info. First digit is the year model. Next two digits indicate series. Next two digits indicate model. My guess is that your first five digits are
    99311 (if short wheelbase) or 99324 (if long wheenbase). Last two digits may be different because you have a fleetside bed which wasn't offered until '58 (after my documentation). The sixth digit will be either a 6 (cylinder) or 8. The last 5 digits are the "vehicle number".

3. ponygirl

ponygirl Member

Parts!

Looking for a place in Canada that I can buy parts for our truck. Does anyone know of any?
    Thanks
    Ponygirl

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006
  4. ponygirl

ponygirl Member

Hello,
    I was able to get the information off the inside of my door
    Model is 9314, Serial 99314805719A, Engine 9TV 124908. The color of it is Black now. Is there somewhere that i could find out how many were made in this year?

5. DrMike

DrMike Member

Parts for you 59

PonyGirl,

Depending on what type of parts you are referring to, is where we can direct you to. You can find most of your replacement parts, including body parts here on the Classic Parts site.

Body parts from the 58 and 59 are the same. Cabs for fleetside and stepside are the same. I am sure that if you have an 8 Cyl engine, it is like Bill Hanlon said, a 283. If it is a 6 Cyl, it is a 235. If you have the 283, most Chevy 350 stuff fits it since the block is the same.

Hope this helps.

Doc

6. ponygirl

ponygirl Member

Doc,
    thanks for the information, yes that definitely helps me.
    do you know where i can find out how may were manufactured?

Ponygirl

7. ATCFLYBOY02

ATCFLYBOY02 Member

You can call GM or obsolete chevy and they can look it up for you I think. Or check out LMC Trucks.

DR

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Not Very

To answer your original question , it isn't rare by any means although it's a great truck . the economy was booming and GM in both America and Canada was building and selling these well designed trucks as fast as they could get them shoved out the door .

I don't know the site but I do know GM Canada has a very good tech help line that will tell you all your questions in detail (better than GM U.S. does) if you give them your VIN , that is the short number stamped into the tag in the driver's side door frame . you might try asking at a GMC dealer as the sales dept'. should know the e-mail address of GM Canada's tech help line .

Enjoy your truck ! .