Late conversion 91/58

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Rich58, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Rich58

Rich58 Member

Hi Guys;

I recently got tagged in the back of my 91 GMC pick-up, I won't go into story telling to bore everyone. Here's my plans, I bought the 91 back for $700.00 so I can use all the running gear for my 58. I bought the 91 new so I know the history, only 91k miles and still runs great. I haven't taken any measurments yet, but has anyone done this kind of conversion?
    I want to use as much of the parts as I can to convert the drive train. Will I be able to use the stock 91 fuel tank mounted on the left side outer frame rail and still use the supply and return lines, is the steering colunm useable, steering box. The 60/40 seat is already in the 58, fits perfect and no problems with the Munzie 4spd.
    I know engine, 700R4trans. mounts are a given, can I use the A/C compressor with a after market kit? Will the diff, (3:40 gear) fit under the 58? looks to be the same width.
    should I just transfer the whole rear suspenion, lowered springs and all after
    relocating mounts? Give me some ideas here guys, any and all will be greatly appreaciated. Rich in the Redwoods

2. 57 restomod

57 restomod Member

project

Looks like you've got yourself a project. Your donor vehicle will provide you with lots of parts. I'd certainly recommend modernizing your front suspension to IFS, maybe an MII or if you're on a budget a Volare IFS clip. Lots of room for your motor and tranny. You'll need to fab mounts for both. I don't think you'll have room for a gas tank outside the frame rails and I don't know how safe that would be in a side on collision anyway. As for the rear, check the width and check the width of the spring perches. It is possible to move the perches so your donors springs and brackets could be used but you'll have to do some figuring to get the right height. One option is to move the perches to the bottom of the axle so the axle mounts above the springs. That'll lower it quite a bit. I used a Ranger 4x4 8.8 rear and it's entire spring and brackets and sway bar. Just bolted it up to the frame. It's the right width but I had to move the perches. The bolt pattern also matched the front end because I used a Volare clip.

Hey have you considered using the whole 91 frame. I saw a magazine truck where a guy used a Silverado frame. He had to cut it in the middle and shorten the wheel base.

3. dennis1340

dennis1340 Member

I also am using a 91 Silverado as a donor for the engine and transmission in my 57. The only concern I have is that I want to use the original speedometer and the 700R4 has an electronic output that also feeds a signal to the ECM for transmission and engine functions. Haven't figured out if anyone sells an adapter to use the electronics for the ECM and a cable for the speedometer.

4. aimless

aimless Member

Go here rich -

https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=5132

Read all my posts. I did a '95 axle into a '65, 3.73 down to a 3.07. WELL WORTH IT. She drives like a new truck. Read my posts because I go into detail about what was involved. The conversion, minus the time needed to take and have the drive shaft shortened, was about 12 hours.