Tranny/Axles conversion

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Nichols53, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Nichols53

Nichols53 Member

Afternoon guys,

This may not work, but I have the chance to buy a 78 Jeep CJ5 that has been rolled once for 800 bucks and I'm wondering if I can "make it work"... I'm wondering if both the front and rear axle will work in my '53 Chevy or not or if they are not wide enough. My plan is to tare into the truck and drop in a much larger engine than the original 216 and tranny and pull out everything that is in it now. It's all original and works fine, but I want to making it my own. Four wheel drive would be a plus. Will it work or not or should I be in search of another donar?

--Thanks for any help
    Mike

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Interesting idea ~ measure the width from the insides of the brake backing plates to see if it'll fit or not .

This job will require serious fabicating and welding skills so don't just tear into it willy-nilly .

Might make a very cool 4X4

-Nate

3. Nichols53

Nichols53 Member

Hey Nate,

Thanks for the info. I did do a rough measurement and it looks like the original width on the truck is about 52 inches and the one from the Jeep is about 45 inches. Yep, I know seven inches is a good size difference, but with different tire rims reaching into the hubs and maybe wheel spacers of a safe thickness, it might just work I have no clue.
    I have always liked the idea of keepin the truck original, but I also like the idea of being able to drive the truck almost anywhere when I want. I have no intention of taking it off road at all, just maybe if I get caught in a snow storm or whatever. The four wheel drive part would just be the bonus ya know. I would be keeping it's appearance original, just want to update under the hood and the entire tranny.
    I have a friend who could help me with the fabrication, so that would not be a problem and the challenge might turn out to be a fun success story. The motor is a 258 so I'm sure that would be plenty to pull the weight of the truck.

Thanks again Nate,
    If anyone else as ever attempted this or know if it would work, lemme know.

--Mike