V8 / Automatic or rebuilt 6 / std

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by J__P__, Jun 24, 2005.

1. J__P__

J__P__ Member

Looking for opinions on what to do - purchase a used V8 and automatic transmission versus rebuilding my old 235 6 cylinder and staying with the stock 4 speed. Here are my items to consider:

1. Budget - low is better but want to do the right thing
    2. Daily driver when finished
    3. Plan to add AC
    4. Don't mind shifting
    5. Mostly in town driving - Some highway.
    6. Stock rear end - would consider a new ring and pinion to go with 6
    7. Truck is in process of getting front disc brakes
    8. Rebuild of 235 would be approx - $1000.00 to 1200.00
    9. Unsure of conversion costs to V8 & automatic - plus all additional items needed - i.e. cross members, shift linkage, custom drive shaft, swap rear end etc...
    10. The ole 235 is hanging on the engine hoist right now

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thanks,
    JP

2. rickh

rickh Member

RE: V8 / Automatic or rebuilt 6 / s

Hi JP,
    Welcome to the forum. I had the same quandry a while back and I think I went the wrong way for what I wanted.
    Dollar for dollar if you are not thinking hot rod the 235 should do the trick for you. With the right cam, ignition, carbs and the gear change for economy it should handle the AC and perfom well.
    Trust me the conversion (to an 8)calls for some $$ and much work...But there again do you want a hot rod?
    Im sure you will get a few more hits on this, there will be some good information and some very sharp gear heads to offer advice.
    Hang in there and drive and enjoy these wonderful old beasts. By the way, the discs are worth it.
    Rick H :)

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: rebuilt 235

From what you wrote , I'd go with the 235 , rebuild or overhaul it and it'll be a good engine and much easier , plus get 'er done sooner

Talk to folks untill you find a later model 235 car engine takeout as it'll have the all important two sheave pulley on it you'll need for the AC plus if you're lucky it'll maybe even have the idle speed solenoid on the cabry if you find an Impala engine .

The 235 is a rock solid sturdy engine , be sure to fully balance it and install a _new_ (not reground!) 261 cam and lifters so it'll have good punch for daily driving in traffic and fuel milage too .

Don't turn the crank unless it's bad .

Tall tires will help with road speed untill you get the Patrick's gearest for the rear end .

-Nate

4. Joels 48

Joels 48 Member

Just curious. Is your truck a 1/2 ton or 3/4? :)

5. Joels 48

Joels 48 Member

Have you considered using your 6 cyl with a 700r4 over drive trans? You would need an adaptor plate for your 235 ($350.00) The 700R4 will bolt directly up to a 250 6 cyl in case you could get your hands on one. They are not rare. I see them on Ebay all the time. Just an idea! :)

6. fab51

fab51 Member

The problem with using a 700R4 or the T-5 5 speed is the fact that you have to replace the driveshaft and rear end. While this may be an easy swap for some, others don't want to mess with that big of a project. I guess it boils down to what you want/need and how long you want to work on it versus driving it. Let us know what you decide.

7. J__P__

J__P__ Member

Thank you all for your informative responses.

Since some of you asked what I decided to do….here is a brief update:

• Decided to go with the rebuild of the 6 cylinder
    • It will have a new 261 cam and lifters as suggested
    • Will send the manifold off to Kansas Kustoms to be split to dual exhaust
    • Should have the engine back in about 3 weeks
    • Will stay with the 4 speed for now – as was stated a lot more swap out required to go with a different tranny
    • Putting money in the piggy back for the new ring and pinion
    • In the mean time will finish putting on the front disc brakes, new master cylinder, paint the frame, replace the etc… you guys know the drill!

Again – Thanks for your help

JP

54 Chevy 3100

8. lazys53

lazys53 Member

live in Sparks,NV, but my heart is in Cali.( I wil
    RE: rebuilt 235

Hey Nate, I was looking over this topic, it caught my eye, cause I have a 53 1/2 ton, still running the 216. I'm trying to locate a straight-6 250. But, as luck has it, I ran into a guy who is willing to give away a 235. Now, I still have time. I'm not going to just through the block in. But, is there any REAL differance in the two? As in power? Maybe in the options,i.e. A/C ....so on? I made up my mind that I will still pick up the 235, but sit on it for the momment. I figured, if I go with a 6 that will have a little more power than the 216, I'll most likely need a driveshaft, right? What about the rear-end? Should it also be changed? Just to ensure that there will no problems? I can drive these trucks like anyone else, but knowing what I could do with one, is something totally differant. So, any help or sugestions would help a homeboy out. I've also heard about the 261 cams and something about the Heads for the 235's that could help out with some horses, just, like I asked, any kind help is good help. Talk to you fellas later.........lazy.