Doing an S10 conversion

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coilover, Jun 5, 2006.

1. coilover

coilover Member

Mike, the last picture I put on the site was of the rear bumper mount. It used up the 3 mb allowed by this site so I couldn't post some finished pictures. I may go through and see if I can delete several nonessential pics so I can post some others. Of course someone with more computer smarts would probably know how to get around this. The rear bumper spacers are 2 1/2 square tubing plus a 3/8 shim (total 3 7/8), makes a perfect fit. By the way, I had a 1954 Hudson Jet with a 308 Hornet Twin H-Power setup. Used to humble the 55-57 chevy guys.

2. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Evan, my 52 WASP has yet to see the streets. I am very close on the Hudson, but the 53 Chevy project seems to have wrestled its way into the top spot. Even that has been put on hold as I make room in the barn for both vehicles...... I asked about the gas filler a few posts back to see how you adapted old chevy to new (I am not even close to being there yet). Your motormounts seem relatively straightforward (I will be using the stock 4.3 v6/auto from the S10, there should be even more room). Moving the radiator up-also pretty basic. I think the brake booster on the firewall may be easier than my initial plan of retaining the original pedal setup, and adding a dual reservoir and booster under the floor. The revised steering column angle looks more ergonomic than the original location, but I'll have to throw the seat in and mock that up when it is time. The gas tank/filler neck is just one more area of concern- I would not want to run a pipe all the way up into the cab to utilize the stock location... the tank is on the wrong side for that. Please post early and often, Having a professional blazing the way is a good thing. Thanks, Mike

3. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

Hey mike I'm doing the same conversion and I plan on putting a flush mount fuel tank door in the side of the bed right in front of the left rear fender for my filler neck. It look like it will fit perfect there and use the stock S-10 filler neck. It will come through the bed a little so it's up to you if you mind it coming through or not. I am raising the floor of my bed up a little so my filler neck won't come through. I have several reasons for doing that to the bed, but the filler neck is one of them. Just a suggestion.

Kevin

4. vduballstar

vduballstar Member

Can you use the S10 V6 with a '53 body on the frame?

5. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Vdub, I sure hope so. I have a complete 92 S10 2WD/4.3/700r4 sitting in the yard waiting. Not to mention the 92 S10 rolling chassis.... Word on the street is I will have to set the eng/trans back (around 8" for a v8, we'll see for the v6) because the modern truck is more "cab forward" than the AD truck. The goal is a bone-stock 53 up top, with a bone-stock 92 S10 underneath. No 350, no headers, no billet. Mike

6. vduballstar

vduballstar Member

Thanks Mike... I just might go that route as well

7. walt1949

walt1949 Member

Have any of you seen the kit from Canada using the S10 cab and chassis with the 50 Chevy truck look?
    Fiberglass body over the S10 cab so you can still register as S10.

Or, the 39 Studebaker look on the S10 cab.

Thanks,
    Walt

8. Kevin's 48

Kevin's 48 Member

I've seen the studebaker, it looks geat. You can find the kit in the back of any classic truck magazine.