Front Clip Conversion

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by muddman15, Oct 3, 2003.

1. muddman15

muddman15 Member

I'm about to put a 79' front clip on my 81' truck, is there anybody who has done a similar conversion, and if so, what kind of problems am I gonna run into? I have the 79' radiator support, but I don't know if it'll bolt right in, and also, I have 4 headlights now, but the 79's only have two, is this gonna be a problem?

2. DJRolley

DJRolley Member

Hey I have a 79 GMC and want to put an 81 front end on it , If you would like to swap let me know. It can be done to answer your question. You have to use the front end year when replacing the trims .

3. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

73-80 front clip change to 81-87

Hello there .
    Well there is a fair mount of work Changing 73-80 to 81-87 front clip .Will take some pic to give you an idea what needed & mod that have to be done. your luckly I have 84 near my frame I working on an 80 close.( there a lot of small stuff ppl forget and I may leave out a few thing because they slip out of mind.)

Well other then doing all the change over to the new clip. This will drop about 250 LBS just on the front clip. I would try to know what
    stuff you would like to keep or try to use from the 73-80 front clip first.
    Like the rad, rad shroud, rad brackets& rubber mounts The rear hood ajuster in the coners have to come off, well that most of the stuff I can think about right now. some pic to show you .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    need these holes to line up with the 81-87 cowl vent top steel one.

you well need the wind sheilds quirter tubs from the 81-87 they attach to the cowl vent. You need the need the cowl vent screen& steel cover. Oh the top hood hinge to. Humm let see now if your going to try to use the 80 rad. You will need the the your rad shroud & 6 cylinder 4.1 Liter bracket,"top "to hold the rad. Because the rad in the 73-80 are taller then the one inthe 81-87 are longer& shorter.
    If you going to use the 81-87 you will need 350or 305 rad, rad shroud and (rad brackets,& rubber mounts).
    any extra bolts shime you can get, inner fenders too, hood release in side. Now you got to make up your mind what you what to do with the fuse box tap in or get new after market or change to one from the one you get the front clip, There are two head light on the 80 so if you use the two head light " big square" you tap most of it in to yours just the light sytem+horns.Mind you this is for none A/c truck.. So if you go to a four head light styem or have A/c you will need the change the whole fuse box with the one your getting or after market. Now I might have forgot a few thing in the is side if you have more Options.
    I am working with only Option that I like. There is no
    Power window's, no Power locks, none A/c, no Hood light, Some this leave my fuse Box open for stuff I add . The thing is try to get the same as your option or as close to your, make suer you take any grab any extra
    wires fuses relays stuff that you would like to up grade.

Well hope this help you or any one eles that think of this.

[​IMG]
    pic was taken in may 26/2005 after a hard winter

77GMC 1/2 ton heavy 1/2 ton with a 84 front clip & inter now with 305 Chev 3.08 rear end 350 TH, steal flat bed,has big block 3 core rad still. Made alum Bracket to hold top of rad. The cab has

been dropped about 2 " with ford windstar K-frame mounts ( 8 ) four small K-frame mounts for a caravan for the rad support. I used The front bumper is off a 98 Chev Van I had to redrill bumper, one

side brace reworked to fit passenger side. A small extension in the small top L braces to hold it there. Newer style master with metric top fitting, frame fitting sae 77 style . Fuse box up dated to 84 type.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006