During the old farm days in Michigan....

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by William Bevins, Oct 17, 2006.

1. William Bevins

William Bevins Member

Our farm work truck was a 40 Dodge which seemed to start as long as
    there was no black clouds in the sky, but that was only in the summer time...
    The ole John Deere got more hours pulling that Dodge than it did pulling
    a plow and disc....:D It finally got replaced with a 49 Chev. 3/4 ton, with a
    4-speed trans...This truck ended any starting problems on the farm, and My
    Grandfather grew to love the 49 because it would do work that was formally
    done with the tractors...For example, when digging potatoes, after being picked-up and put in crates, the old Chev. would be put in granny gear with
    the steering wheel tied with a rope the old Chevy would drive itself, while We
    loaded Her down with potatoes...I remember those old trucks when they were
    new, because I am now 73 years young. WB

2. 283 man

283 man Member

I miss hearing stories like this from my grandparents they are with God now but I really think thats our children need to listen more to their elders,we have a lot to learn from our elders, Thank You William Bevins.

3. brit 50

brit 50 Member

British health and safety

William, great story, I can just see what you describe in my head, if you tried that in England nowadays you'd be thrown in jail!!! theres a gov dept called Health and safety, and you can't even get up a ladder these days without training, someone "footing" the ladder, a hard hat, high visibility jacket, and roping off the area below! dont think im joking, im serious!

I miss the old days when if you had an accident it was an accident, or you were just plain stupid. it allowed you to just get on with the job in hand.
    ________
    Glass Weed Pipe

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011