Big Block Installation?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by efishunt, Oct 26, 2006.

1. efishunt

efishunt Member

i just recently acquired a 1966 c-10. it has a 292 w/ 4 speed. i have acess to a 454. what kind of issues am i going to have?

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Issue 1 That SM420 4 speed is less than desireable for the 454. A TH350, built to survive that motor is the trans of choice.
    Issue 2 Motor mounts. Look for a set of big block motor mount towers from a later model Chevy truck.
    Issue 3 Exhaust headers.

Val

3. ATCFLYBOY02

ATCFLYBOY02 Member

Make sure your springs in the front will handle it!!!

4. drabo

drabo Member

On top of all that other stuff you fan will move closer to the radiator. A smaller spacer will do the trick. Also make sure your drive shaft and rear end will take the abuse.

5. efishunt

efishunt Member

Big Block Installation

thanks alot guys.
    i am new to this forum and new to mechanicing also. but i have loved these trucks for 20 years. i live in a somewhat remote location so finding parts is not easy.
    i wasn't sure how i was going to like the 4 speed or even if it would hold up, but this truck is not going to be a daily driver and in our weather, probably more like a monthly go out and rip around town some.

i was worried about the towers for the big block, do any of you know of any junk yards that i can order them from? we don't have any up here where i'm at.