Battery Drain Problem

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by gafcob, Oct 28, 2006.

1. gafcob

gafcob Member

My battery is draining? It is fairly new. I replaced the Fan belt and when it is running the ammeter reads right in the middle,it moves a bit when i step on the gas? It seems to drain over night and i have to put the charger on it,could I install a kill switch? And if I can what is the proceder? Thanks Gaff

2. cjoe001

cjoe001 Member

I would disconnect the battery terminals and put a charger on the battery overnight. Then in the morning check each cell of the battery with a hydrometer. Leave the battery sit all day and check all the cells again. There is a chance the battery has a bad cell. This will be show as a low reading on one cell. If the cells all read good then the problem is battery drain from the truck.

3. gafcob

gafcob Member

Thank you. I will do that

4. coilover

coilover Member

Before you hook your cable back up after charging, hook a voltmeter between the post and cable (or even a test light if it's a big drain). If the meter shows any voltage or the light comes on you have a short or drain somewhere. If you have fuses you can pull them one at a time till the meter zero's. It will be in that system. If no fuses then disconnect various things one at a time, starting with the alternater. When the meter drops--you've found the culprit. If it's a short in the wiring run a compass along each wire or loom and when the needle swings 180 degrees youve passed over the short. They sell "shortfinders" to do this and I think some even have an audio to sound when you pass over a short. Good luck.

5. gafcob

gafcob Member

Thanks Evan...I will let you know...M.Gaff

6. Sledge Hammer

Sledge Hammer Member

I think it is the same problem that is pegging your gas guage. Do the dash lights come on when you step on the brake? I think you have a grounding problem. Something is causing the gas guage to act funny, and I'd bet it relates to the battery draining. Solve one problem, you'll solve 'em both.

7. gafcob

gafcob Member

You know what...I never checked to see if my Dash lights come on when on the Brake cause I have the truck on stilts right now...What I do notice is the Ammeter jumping when I put the Blinkers on....??????