1953 gmc 248 truck motor

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by glfritz, Aug 21, 2005.

1. glfritz

glfritz Member

Hey fellas today i got my 53 gmc model 350 24. this thing is nice good glass all windows work 55000 miles. But the exaust manifold is broken. does anybody if the 248 ex manifold is the same as the 235 truck motor.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well now , aren't _we_ the lucky one ? :p

IIRC the manifold is different , better go to The StoveBolt Page and ask for help over there , I wonder if kansas Kustoms could fix it for you ? .

BTW : I suffer from ' Long Motor Envy ' , a not overly rare condition found in many vintage (pre 1963) Chevy owners ;-)

The only known cure is to stuff a GMC engine under your hood :7

3. fab51

fab51 Member

I do know that the manifolds are different. Port sizes are different, and I'm not certain, but port spacing may be different. Also, every GMC I've seen has a flange with 3 studs. Not a big deal to switch, but just enough to be a pain.

Nate-

Surely you don't want one of those silly GMC's do you? Remember how much more they cost to rebuild than the lowly 235. I actually thought about doing this myself before I built the 235. I never ran the numbers, but I think I found a 302 in a 1-1/2 or 2 ton '56 with refer body. Don't know if it was any good, but it was nice to think about for a few minutes.

4. glfritz

glfritz Member

thanks for the advice. the more i look at this truck the nicer it is the blinkers work even the dome light works. and the owners manual was in the glove box.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yes , of course I'd like a 248 or 302 , I am sure I could make a junkyard one outlast me without any problem as I've never yet blown up an engine .

-Nate