Weight of AD Pickups?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by slugbug, Nov 8, 2006.

1. slugbug

slugbug Member

Anyone know the weight of a AD pickup? I see the curb weight listed in the book is fairly low (like 2800lbs). Wonder if anyone has weighed their pickup.

Also, what's the weight of a 216 engine (complete)?

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

They're HEAVY !

I dunno the actual weight but they're HEAVY suckers ! mine got away from me awhile ago as I was rolling it out from between two closely parked cars :mad:

it went over a small hump and there was a very gentle incline ~ it picked up speed so fast I almost coulnd't catch it :eek:

3. bigmikes50chevy

bigmikes50chevy Member

When I was 17, I was working for a label manufacturing company here in Fresno, I had to go out on a delivery so I took my truck. Made the delivery with no problem BUT as I was leaving this companies yard, I had to get out and check in the the security office, so I left it running in neutral, waited to see if it was going to roll (e-brake didn't work), then ran in. As I'm talking with security, I hear someone outside yell "it's going to hit the gate", well, it's my truck rolling towards a big metal rolling gate. My truck hit the gate as it was opening, my bumper got wedged in between the gate and a chain that opened the gate. Needless to say, the gate broke and there I am standing there looking at my truck and the security guards looking at me :eek: . The owner of the company I worked for was laughing as hard as he could when I got back. The next delivery I went on, he made me take his truck. So to answer the question, these trucks are very heavy!

Mike

4. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

Used my '49 GMC 150 (3/4 ton) to haul some scrap metal to the dump last week. The folks at the dump weigh the vehicle going in loaded the coming out empty to determine the weight of the scrap material delivered. My outbound empty weight was 4,188 lbs. That's no driver on board, about a half tank of gas, and spare tire. Maybe 10-15 lbs of tools under the seat.

5. William Bevins

William Bevins Member

Slugbug, The curb weight on a 3104 is 3250 lbs. Bill

6. William Bevins

William Bevins Member

Slugbug
    Just looking at My Title ...it states 3300 pounds. My truck is a 52 3104
    series, shortbed...

7. coilover

coilover Member

Don't go by title weights, they were weighed dry (no oil,gas,water, spare tire) to minimize shipping weight payed to transporters. Take it to a scale at a truckstop and weigh all that plus dirt, tools, spare parts in the cab corner behind the seat, etc. It WILL weigh more.

8. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

According to the resto-pack i just looked at the engine weighs (dry) 582 lbs with clutch, 639 lbs with clutch and tranny.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  9. slugbug

slugbug Member

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the new engine will be close to the same weight. I really thought this thing was a lighter pickup. Maybe I'm wrong on that. Once I get it moving I'll take it to the local certified scale. Just wanted to make sure 275hp was going to be enough. ;) Of course, if it's not I'll just have to add more power. :D

Andy

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sufficient Power ?

275 Horsepower ? :eek: I hope that's enough :rolleyes:

Of course , if you're off to embarrass the guy in a '69 Chevelle , maybe not :eek:

Remember , power comes in various guieses ~ carefull engine building technique will result in way more useable power that will last than any amount of bolt on crap will...... ;)