beaded inner window seals

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by old blue, Aug 16, 2005.

1. old blue

old blue Member

I have been trying to install my inner window seals, the kind held down with staples, and am going crazy! Heck of a time, keep bending the staples. Is ther a trick to this? I bought these about 5 yrs ago from another specialty catalog and just getting around to installing. Are there different repops out there? Mine came from Dale's Manufacturing. Any help appreciated!

Chuck
    old blue
    50 3100

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

AFIK , the trick is to re use the original staples and use tiny needle nose pliers to bend them over , I always manage to puncture my fingers so I left the old seals in my personal truck....

The felts will make the largest differance anyway , no more rattles ! .

-Nate

3. ttcodi

ttcodi Member

I just did this too, and I did not re-use those worthless staples for the same reason you are having trouble now.
    First of all, I think you are talking about that felt track that goes around the perimeter of the glass so it can't rattle around.
    If so, I just bent the thing accordingly and finessed it in place.
    Then I put the window up to squeeze it up to where it needed to be and got it all bent right. Then I pulled it away from the door by an inch or two and layed down a bead of epoxy. Then I put the windown back up super tight to squeeze it in place and let it sit overnight.
    Next day the window moved up and down nice and snug in it's liner and the liner stayed in place.

4. old blue

old blue Member

TTCOI,
    are we talking about the same thing? I am having trouble with beaded "cat wiskers" on the lower inside of window frame. It has a stainless steel bead along the top edge. I wasn't sure if you are talking about the door glass channel?
    If we are talking about the same....how is the epoxy holding up? Do you think it will hold-up with repeated use?

Chuck

5. ttcodi

ttcodi Member

ohhhhhh,
    I thought that's what you might be talking about, in which case the
    answer is No, we aren't talking about the same thing.
    I did mean the glass channel.
    But maybe epoxy would work for you too, it is holding up really
    well, I used the good two part stuff that comes in those syringe
    like tubes with two seperate glues that mix when you're ready
    to use them.

6. fab51

fab51 Member

Chuck-

I drilled a couple of small holes through mine and used small pop rivets. They hold quite nicely, and with the frame installed are invisible.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

That's cool Tim , _maybe_ I'll consider installig the one on my driver's side as I finally found the last stainless steel inner surround I bought some time ago , I'd installed the rest allready but left this one hangin up in my tangerine tree right next to where I park my truck at night and when I work on it , of course the fresh leaves grew out and covered it up...

The felt channels don't need any glue if they're properlu installed...

-Nate

8. old blue

old blue Member

great idea on the pop rivets....just picked-up the smallest size I could find ...steel 1/8 x 1/8 and will give it a try this week.

Chuck