FNG, just saying hello....

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by NF65Fleetside, Nov 22, 2006.

1. NF65Fleetside

NF65Fleetside Member

Hey guys, been lurking around as a guest for a short time and finally joined the forum. This place seems pretty nice and informative. Im new to building up trucks and have finally purchased my first one. Its a 65' fleetside swb, the body is pretty straight outside of 3 very minor dings, two rust holes in the floor boards (about 1.5-2" in diameter), and the much need of new bed wood. Im pleased with it for a starter truck and it should be quite fun for a mild build up.

I have a few questions pertaining some of the things I want to take care of first on the list and thats....

1) If the rest of the floor boards are solid other than the holes I mentioned, should I just patch the two small holes and add sound dampening and carpet? Or buy complete new floors and have them welded in?
    2) It came with a IL6 and 3sp manual transmision, Im clueless as too the true combo but is it possible to just bolt up a small block to this tranny as well?

Im sure Ill have plenty of more questions to ask down the road as well, just wanted to introduce myself and officially join the forum.

Attached Files:

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

If those holes are as small as you say, I would just patch those small holes rather than replacing the floor pan. Faster, cheaper...

Yes, a small block will bolt up to that bell housing. You will need to change the passenger side motor mount perch. See the link below.

http://www.persh.org//pickup/perches.htm

That's about it ! Other than attaching the clutch linkage bell crank to the block and hooking up the throttle linkage.

Val

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  3. NF65Fleetside

NF65Fleetside Member

thanks for the info, checked out the site...looks pretty simple to get a v8 in there. thanks again