carb problems

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by fyritup52, Sep 11, 2005.

1. fyritup52

fyritup52 Member

hello all I have a 235 single barrel carb that leaks gas around the throttle linkage area and was told thru lots of posts that it was a flaw in the manufacture.I was also told I had to live with this problem(which I dont want to do)or modify with a newer setup can anyone give me some kind of idea how this is done.I didnt get much info on this subject so I'd appreciate any input
    thanks in advance
    Bill

2. fab51

fab51 Member

Bill-

I'm assuming you are running the Rochester B. If so, this leak is quite common because the throttle shaft will wear where it passes through the throttle body. The fix that I'm quite fond of is chucking the Rochester B in favor of a C a r t e r YF. The C a r t e r is a direct bolt-on replacement, and will give you better throttle response than the Rochester.

3. fyritup52

fyritup52 Member

fab51 thanks are these type carbs pretty common as far as finding being single barrel and older truck and all this roch has been a BIG pain changed carb 3 times already with no results(I thought it was carb tho) thanks again:7

4. fab51

fab51 Member

They are quite common, but you have to be careful. C a r t e r had YF's for many applications, including Willys 4 cylinders and Studebakers. Be certain the one you look for is for the Chevrolet 6. I found mine on ebay a few months back and paid around $30 for it. A $12 carb kit, and it was ready to go. Good luck with your search.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Bill ;

Chevy Duty sell the most excellent C a r ter rebuilds of the Rochester 'B' carby , they use choice cores to begine with and re-bush the throttle shaft as necessary ~ a very good deal @ the price .

Remember , this is old technology and you must expect a little bit of
    seepeage here and there .

-Nate

6. fyritup52

fyritup52 Member

Hey nate you are so right about old technology and seepage expected and could handle a little oil or something like that,but it kinda gets me a little spooked when it's something combustible hehe.I need to investigate a lil further and check out some boneyards up next to fred'burg va as I go there alot and swear I'll go searching the boneyards but never seem to do.
    thanks

Bill

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

O.K. Bill ;

Check the throttle shaft play by holding it ever so slightly off idle then try to move the shaft laterally (back & forth) , if should not wobble in the hole more than 1/16" or so as it'll suck vacuum if too loose and screw up the idle too .

You may have the float set too high as it should only get damp at the throttle shaft no matter how loose it gets . or perhaps the BB in the accelleratore pump wel has gone missing , allowing it to gush fuel all the time....? .

Get a carby rebuild kit and use the cardboard flaot tool to ensure correct float height ~ this is where having a shop manual comes in really handy as it has clear pictures of setting float height .

Most folks complain about the dampness at the float bowl gasket .
    -Nate