engine swap

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by novagmc, Dec 4, 2006.

1. novagmc

novagmc Member

changing from 6cyl to 8cyl, stick to turbo 350 do i need to remove crossmember and replace with different one and do i need to change the frame portion of the motor mounts or will the 8 mount to them any info would be appreciated thanks, JOHN

2. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

No Change On The Motor Mounts, Punch Rivets Out Of Manual Crossmember And Install Auto Crossmember From Early Classics.com Good Luck

3. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Yup, Like Kustom said..

There is a change to the right side motor mount tower when going from a 6 to 8 motor. http://www.persh.org//pickup/perches.htm

Add in a drive shaft shortening too. The hardest part is removal of the bellhousing crossmember. I used an angle grinder and about half a dozen cut-off wheels. It's a lot easier with the cab off the body but not all that difficult with it on. I ended up cutting through the crossmember first, to get a bit more room, then attacked the rivits on the frame rails.

Val

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  4. dcsi5919

dcsi5919 Member

I used a cut-off wheel, as well, as dval suggested, however on a whim, I put a good metal blade in my recip saw and cut right through the factory rivets. I thought that would be impossible, due to the strength and hardness of the rivets, however to my surprise, the recip saw cut right through them. I liked this method over the cut-off wheel due to the limited access and the amount of sparks. Just a suggestion that was helpful for me. I wanted to salvage the cross member, in case I or someone else had a use for it.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2006
  5. novagmc

novagmc Member

thanks for all your help, JOHN

6. NF65Fleetside

NF65Fleetside Member

In that article about mounts, they say that you only need to change out the passenger side bracket if your converting from a 292, 230/50 and 283 all share the parallel mounting spots yah? Also does anyone know if a sbc will bolt up to the stock 3spd in the floor tranny?

7. dvalentine

YAH !

YAH ! But it will be the bell housing for that 3 speed that bolts up. ;)

Val

8. NF65Fleetside

NF65Fleetside Member

hahahahaha, kewl thanks for clearing that up for me Val...Im doing my 283 swap next weekend. stoked!!!!!! my 230 is dying fast:( but Im thinking of keeping it and building it up for a nastalgic rod project in the future.

9. dvalentine

I would !! I love them stovebolts. Here is one in a 59 Impala I saw at Cruising for a Cure . Sorry about the size of this picture.....

[​IMG]