Tie Rod End Woes

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by Contrinador, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Contrinador

Contrinador Member

I purchased modern replacement tie rod ends for my '57 from Chevy Duty and they are tapered. My steering arms have a straight bore. Has anyone put this combination together before & how long has it lasted? Is it possible CD sent the wrong parts? Should I return these and just get the orginal style?

Thanks,
    Eric:eek:

2. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I had the same problem. Took the steering arms to a local machine shop and they ran a tapered ream through them. Charged me $10 an arm.

3. Contrinador

Contrinador Member

My arms are bored at .53". The balljoints taper from .54 to .52, thus they are smaller than my arms already. Taper reaming them won't work unless they are plugged or filled first. It pissses me off that the companies sell this sort of stuff likes its plug 'n play, while in reality a trip to the machine shop and more money/time is required. I probably could have picked up tapered ball joints at local auto parts for half the price and be in the same boat.

I'd like to hear from anyone that's running tapered parts in round holes. That seems to be what CD is marketing, maybe we all are just too nervous.

I'm also half tempted to return these and get the original style. Of course now, I'd probably need a a trip to the machine shop to get the ball trunions inserted. :-(

4. tuckerport

tuckerport Member

I have the same situation, I was not aware of the taper, after looking at the parts, they are too loose. I paid to have the original balls pressed out. Is there a fix to this problem. Tuckerport, Topeka, Kansas. I think I will give CD the benefit of the doubt, and try installing the aftermarket ends, to the steering arms. The trunions in the CD catalog, have tapers, I did not see the ones that were taken out, so I don't know if the oem ones were tapered or not.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  5. NDtruck

NDtruck Member

Old Thread, but same problem

I know this is an old thread, but a similar problem still occurs. At least on my '58.

I've actually got the reverse problem. Just purchased and recieved the New Style replacement tierod ends, but they have a Straight Stud, and my steering arm has a tapered hole.

the old ball studd that I banged out looked identical to Part #76-513 in the Classic Parts catalog, but again the new replacement tie rod ends aren't tapered at all.

So am currently looking into options, but will otherwise probably have to put in a call to the Classic Parts service dept.

Anybody else run into this since this thread was first created?

6. NDtruck

NDtruck Member

I've solved my own mystery, thought i'd send an update. I got a chance to look at a 2nd '58 that was unrestored. It had pressed in ball studs. So somewhere in the history of My truck somebody put new screw in, tapered ball studs. I'd thought my truck was all original, but there seems to be a little mystery to it now.

similarly I know all that parts catalogs i've found indicate that the brake drums are the same size/width, etc.. but my front drums differ from the rear....yet another mystery.

7. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

try rareparts.com for original replacement parts for front end parts