splined wiper arm fixture

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ttcodi, Sep 12, 2005.

1. ttcodi

ttcodi Member

I decided to clean up the one splined wiper arm pivot, the thing that is on the end of the wiper link and goes from the inside cab
    through the hole to the outside.

Like an idiot I thought acid would clean it up good, so I left it in overnight. The next morning about half of it was still there. Are there any replacements for these parts?
    Fortunately I only did the passenger side but still.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

OOPS .

I hate when that happens . forutantely they are the same on all AD's big & small so there's always good used ones about or Chevy Duty used to sell new ones . next time just gently wire brush it clean with the
    brass bristled toothbrush then work some 30 W engine oil down the shaft and it'll be good to go .

Now is the time of year to adjust your valves to ensure a good vacuum supply and replace the rubber hose .

Remember : when ascending hills in the rain , once the truck is really moving right along you can release and re stamp the accelerator pedal to get one good wipe from time to time....

Or just ascend the hills slower in the lower gears so you only need give it 1/2 throttle or less , then the wipers will work just fine albiet slowly . adding a check valve and vacuum resivoir can from any old 60's ~ 70's vintage cars will improve wiper action dramatically .
    they look like tomato cans painted black .

-Nate

3. ttcodi

ttcodi Member

what are "AD's?"

4. ttcodi

ttcodi Member

I took my vacuum motor apart last night and cleaned out a heap of solid chunky crud, I imagine 55 years ago it was lubrication.
    Hopefully this will make it work right because before it would move one half rotation then I would have to move the switch again to make it move back.
    Should I clean the inside of this thing out with gas, and then what should I lubricate it with? Regular grease?

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Vacuum Wiper Motor

Good morning !

' AD ' is Advanced Design , the series of trucks built by GM from (late) '47 through (early) '55 .

You shouldn't wa$te time & $ fiddling with the vacuum motor , send it off to Ficken Wiper Service in New York (website wiperman.com) and for cheap he'll return it _as_new_ , you'l be pleased trsut me .

-Nate

6. 58 chevy

58 chevy Guest

AD's is the Advance Design series, this is what your truck is, all it is, is just a series name for a certain set of years of trucks.

1941-46 Art Deco series
    47-55 1st Advance Design series
    55-59 task force series

Jesse Hazell Chevy Duty Tech.

7. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

Nate -

What about those double action fuel pumps... they're advertised as being a real assist to the vacuum wipers. Any knowledge or experience with them?

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: D/A Fuel Pump

Oh , yeah ~ they're _GREAT_ ! your wipers not only don't ever slow down or stop but they actually speed up a little bit as you reach crusising speed .

I think Chevy Duty still sells them , Airtex (NAPA etc.) is the only American manufactured of them anymore I believe .

The must be plumbed correectly to give maximum benifit : the vacuum nipple of the intake manifold goes to the output (pressure) side of the fuel pump and then you run the hose from the vauum side of the fuel pump up to the wiper motor ~ few trucks ae properly routed and so don't get much benefit from having a dual action fuel pump .

Look around as pretty much all 216 & 235/261 D/A fuel pumps interchange although the part #'s listings vary due to differing tubing used over the years , I once got a sweet deal on a N.O.S. AC brand one in the box as the P/N only broke out for a 1958 Chevy Impala with 235....

-Nate

9. ltcmikem

ltcmikem Member

RE: D/A Fuel Pump

Nate... once again you've give me some excellent info. Many thanks.