Oil Filter Canister

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by SoCal57Trucker, Jun 23, 2005.

1. SoCal57Trucker

SoCal57Trucker Member

I'm rebuilding my recently acquired '57 235 and have been on a few websites looking at engines and noticed an oil filter canister bolted to the intake manifold. I don't have one on mine so I went to my shop manual and it makes no mention of a filter other than the pick up screen on the pump. I just got back from one of the local classic car summer nights and found 3 trucks with 235s. Two of them had the filter and 1 didn't. I talked to one owner and all he knew is it was there when he bought it, couldn't find the others. My questions: Was this an option on the originals or did they just not use them and the ones I see are aftermarket? Next does anyone know where I can get a canister and mount bracket?

2. MY 57 CHEVY

MY 57 CHEVY Guest

SoCal57Trucker Check subject oil filter hook up . BB :7

3. SoCal57Trucker

SoCal57Trucker Member

Thanks again MY 57 CHEVY.

4. tuckerport

tuckerport Member

I think they all had the canister filters, yours was probably removed. Do you have plugs in the block where the lines would go.

5. dane st. cyr

dane st. cyr Member

Ive seen the cannister in two places , one is the firewall and the othe is on the left side of the block making it close to the oil pressure plugs in the block,. The manufacturer was a company called FRANTZ ,

6. coilover

coilover Member

The filter was an option and since they are just a partial flow filter they added nothing to an engines longevity over one that had regular oil changes. The oil went to everywhere else first and what was leftover passed through the filter. If you do an archive search on "full flow filter" on this site and Stovebolt there are how to articles and photos on doing this conversion. With a full flow filter all the oil passes through it before going to the rest of the engine--in other words it does some good. I had an ex-airforce pickup that had a canister full flow filter at the lower left rear of the block and always wondered if the military trucks all had this.

7. KentC

KentC Member

Oil filter cannister

On the 1953 link on this webpage, there is another conversation on this subject.
    KentC