Suspension help

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by 69c10step, Dec 6, 2006.

1. 69c10step

69c10step Member

I am the proud new owner of a '69 C-10 Stepside. With this, I'm sure there will be many questions. The first is about the coil springs. The truck had been lowered before I purchased it. Unfortunately this was done by cutting the coil springs - front & rear. I have seen many places to buy new lowering coil springs that come in 2", 3", 4" or 5" measurements. Is there a way to determine how much the truck is currently lowered? I like the way the truck sits now, but don't know how much it has been lowered. I'm afraid of buying the wrong springs and be sitting to high or so low that it is not practical.

If anyone has words of wisdom, they will be greatly appreciated.

Tom

2. sinerasis

sinerasis Member

You could find a stock truck and compare some measurements. Don't measure to the tires unless they are the same size as yours, you won't get what you want. Also take into consideration that old suspension might be sagging a little.

30+ year old springs could look about the same as a new 2" drop spring.

Everything I have read about lowering my truck (a '77) says you don't really want to do much more than 2'' of lowering with a spring, and a drop spindle would be much better for keeping ride quality and suspension geometry (which could save you cash on tires).

I don't know about your truck, but I have leafs in the rear... which makes adjusting height really easy (and a lot cheaper).

3. 69c10step

69c10step Member

Thanks for the thoughts - I may check into going the spindle route.