70's goodies into a 59? easy swap?

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by rickers, Oct 24, 2006.

1. rickers

rickers Member

i picked up a (what i thought was a junk) 72 gmc with the hopes of swapping the suspension, brakes, power steering, eng and trans, and rearend into my '65 gmc. i started thinking about all the work involved and that i would rather have the components in my '59 chevy. from different posts the 65 swaps sounded like a bolt-in project that i could handle.

my main question is whether the whole front suspension will bolt right into the 59 (ya, i know, i have ta take out the 59's suspension first :). but will it fit without too much alteration? the 59 is rigged with a 350 so engine mounts sould be close, and not much of a problem it change if not. being only a half-a** mechanic also wonder if it's better to just pull the disc brake and power steering components rather than the whole suspension unit.

i'm also having second thoughts about stripping the '72. great running motor and it's had the trans, rearend, power steering, etc. rebuilt, has no dents or rust to speak of, and drives darn nice. interior and paint needs redone. i'm wondering if i should sell it to someone who likes that style and just piece together the newer parts i want. more trouble but hate to destroy a good truck.

like to know your thoughts on the above and appreciate any advice you can give......rick.

2. tuckerport

tuckerport Member

I have a 69 chevy parts truck in Wichita, Kansas. The suspension, bed, doors, front fender, hood, are all good. The engine is gone. I think it has drum brakes on the front. I got it from my son in a lopsided trade. It sounds like your 72 is a pretty nice truck.

3. bill55

bill55 Member

I believe that the track width is wider on the front suspension of 67 and up chevy trucks than your 59. So if you did make it work, the tires would stick out somewhat past the fenders and on a two wheel drive that might look a little funny. Just my 2cents. Bill

4. ljw

ljw Member

I do know that the rear diff on a 1969 from drum to drum is basically as the 1959. I guess if you measure drum to drum on the front that it would give you an idea?

5. coilover

coilover Member

You need to use a 71 (or newer) van crossmember to fit up on your 59 frame, the pickup crossmember is too narrow where the frame rails fit. The tire will stick out about an inch on each side. This will give disc brakes with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern so you might want a rear with the same pattern to have the spare fit both ends. Big GM and big Ford cars have the 5 on 5 as well as chev pickups. Here's a tip on handling the GM crossmember since it will not balance on a floor jack. Tack a spring U bolt on the very back lip of the crossmember in the center and pick up with a hoist--it will balance and swing free which helps with lining it up. Good luck

6. coilover

coilover Member

Here's how much the tires stick out with the 71 or 72 van crossmember on a 55-59 frame.

Attached Files:

7. rickers

rickers Member

thanks, all

many thanks for all the help. have decided to try to find another donor or start livin at the local pic-n-pull. coilover, great pic and suggestions- will help alot.