Really stupid question

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by bigmikes50chevy, Dec 26, 2006.

1. bigmikes50chevy

bigmikes50chevy Member

Okay, I should know this, I've looked in my handy auto repair book and have the answer. How much transmission fliud does a turbo 350 hold. The book say 2.5 pts. The pick-up is a 1975 chevy 1/2 ton silverado 4x4. I serviced the tranny (new filter) put 2.5 pts in but nothing registers on the dipstick, so I added more, now it registers, 4.5 qts later. so now I have a nice round, big red puddle under the truck. Yes the truck was running when I added oil. Since I've had this truck, it has always leaked tranny fluid. I have never been able to stop the leak, but I can't seem to track it down, it seems to leak everywhere (front pump and rear seal are okay, not leaking from here). Could the dipstick be inaccurate? (another stupid question here) Could I be over filling the tranny and its leaking out of any hole it can find (dipstick o-ring, tranny pan bolts, etc.) I'm stumped. :(

Mike

2. LVMY87TRK

LVMY87TRK Member

Try this

A350 takes 41/2 to5qts after a fluid filter change if you have a stock pan.suggest u clean tranny real good then wipe down with truck on level let run with out moving for several minutes this keeps fluid that is leaking from spraying all over the place u may need to put it in drive then reverse several times then look and see if u can tell where its coming from.check around the speedocable that O ring is notorious for leaks.good luck

3. bigmikes50chevy

bigmikes50chevy Member

Thank You for the info. I will be working on this in the morning. Thank You again!

Mike